World

New Covid-19 breakthrough lifts global hope against pandemic

Second vaccine by Moderna found to be nearly 95% effective

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 16 Nov 2020 11:13PM

New Covid-19 breakthrough lifts global hope against pandemic
Moderna, whose results stem from a clinical trial of more than 30,000 participants, plans to apply for emergency approval of its vaccine and expects to have approximately 20 million doses ready to ship in the US by the end of the year– Pixabay pic, November 16, 2020

WASHINGTON – Global hopes of overcoming the coronavirus pandemic were boosted Monday after a second vaccine was found to be nearly 95% effective, bringing much-needed optimism to a world facing surging infections and a raft of new restrictions.

The news from the US biotech firm Moderna comes after similar results were announced last week for a vaccine candidate developed by pharma giant Pfizer and its German partner BioNTech.

European stock markets surged Monday on the hopeful news, building on a boom sparked by the Pfizer news one week ago. 

Yet with neither vaccine likely to be widely available for months, governments around the world are still moving forward with unpopular but life-saving restrictions on free movement, gatherings and business.

Globally, infections have soared past 54 million with more than 1.3 million deaths.

Moderna, whose results stem from a clinical trial of more than 30,000 participants, plans to apply for emergency approval of its vaccine and expects to have approximately 20 million doses ready to ship in the US by the end of the year.

“This positive interim analysis from our Phase 3 study has given us the first clinical validation that our vaccine can prevent Covid-19 disease, including severe disease,” said Moderna's chief executive officer Stephane Bancel,.

Like the Pfizer candidate, the vaccine involves injecting the body with strands of genetic instructions called “messenger RNA”, which tell cells how to fight the coronavirus.

While the breakthrough opens a chink of light at the end of the tunnel, experts caution there are still difficult and dangerous months ahead.

“A vaccine on its own will not end the pandemic,” warned World Health Organization head Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

Supply will initially be limited to health care workers and other vulnerable populations, which could offer major help to hospital systems but will "still leave the virus with a lot of room to move," he said.

As scientists and pharma companies charge ahead on the vaccine front, governments are trying to slow the spread of the virus and protect strained hospital systems. 

In hard-hit Europe curbs have returned  – often in the face of protests – from Greece to Britain, where PM and Covid-19 survivor Johnson was self-isolating out of precaution Monday after coming into contact with an MP who later tested positive for the virus.

Johnson said he would lead the virus response from Downing Street despite the fact “that I’ve had the disease and I’m bursting with antibodies” after being hospitalised in April. 

In Germany, which began a new round of shutdowns earlier in the month, Chancellor Angela Merkel is pushing for more measures, including masks in all schools and smaller class sizes.

Outside work or school, contact between people should also be “restricted to those from another fixed household”, under a proposal from Merkel's office due to be put to regional leaders.

While new cases are plateauing in Germany, daily numbers, officials say, are still too high.

In France, which has been under partial lockdown for more than two weeks, health minister Olivier Veran warned the strict measures had slowed the disease but “we have not won against the virus yet”.

Infections in the United States, the world’s worst-hit nation, show no sign of slowing after one million new cases in less than a week pushed the total number past 11 million.

The spikes have prompted new curbs while experts warn families against large gatherings for the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday.

A stay-at-home advisory was to come into force Monday in Chicago, while New York, the epicentre of the spring outbreak in the US, is also rushing to flatten a second curve.

President Donald Trump, already under fire for his pandemic response, has been blamed for further complicating efforts by refusing to concede and cooperate with President-elect Joe Biden’s transition team.

They are not even allowed to consult with the top government immunologist Anthony Fauci, who has noted the virus could kill tens of thousands more Americans by the time Biden takes office on January 20.

Concerns of a resurgence also remain in parts of the world that have largely brought their caseloads under control.

Australia’s Adelaide, which had not seen a significant outbreak in seven months, reported that a new cluster of 17 cases were linked to a hotel used to quarantine travellers returning from overseas.

Authorities snapped back a roster of restrictions and suspended international flights into Adelaide. 

The sudden curbs brought into question India's upcoming blockbuster cricket tour from November 27.

In Hong Kong, the government further tightened restrictions from Monday on the number of people in bars and restaurants, to guard against a spike.

And Algeria, facing its own surge of infections, announced new restrictions Sunday that close sport and cultural centres as well as beaches. – AFP, November 16, 2020

Related News

Business / 4h

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

World / 1d

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

Opinion / 1w

Wikipedia has become compromised by intelligence agencies and ideological capture

Opinion / 2w

Is the South China Sea moving from a ‘zone of peace’ towards the next conflict area?

Malaysia / 3w

Malaysia must prepare for the effects of the Gulf War

Malaysia / 4w

US lawmakers urge review of Malaysia ties over Anwar’s Israel deportation remarks

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran