World

Protests over another US police shooting of black man

Cops say Jayland Walker drove off, fired gun during car chase

Updated 4 years ago · Published on 02 Jul 2022 11:30AM

Protests over another US police shooting of black man
The incident was the latest death of an African American citizen at the hands of police, events that have sparked mass protests over racism social justice and police brutality. – AFP pic, July 2, 2022

WASHINGTON – Angry activists rallied yesterday in the city of Akron in Midwestern United States following yet another police shooting death of a black man earlier this week.

Jayland Walker, 25, was shot and killed on Monday, after officers tried to stop his car over a traffic violation, the police department in the city of Akron, Ohio said.

But Walker drove off and fired a shot as police engaged in a car chase, which lasted several minutes. He eventually got out of his car, while it was still moving, and fled on foot.

Several officers finally chased Walker to a parking lot, where “actions by the suspect caused the officers to perceive he posed a deadly threat to them,” leading them to open fire, the police statement said.

Walker was pronounced dead at the scene.

Officials have provided few details of the shooting, promising to release body-cam video from the scene soon, but local media have reported that dozens of shots were fired.

“Jayland was a sweet young man, he never caused any trouble,” his aunt Lajuana Walker-Dawkins told reporters.

“This is not a monster. This is not a man who ever caught a crime in his life,” said attorney Bobby DiCello, who represents Walker’s family.

He told the Washington Post that it was unclear why Walker had fled the police.

The incident was the latest death of an African American citizen at the hands of police, events that have sparked mass protests over racism social justice and police brutality.

Small demonstrations were held in Akron in recent days and a bigger rally was scheduled for Sunday.

Fearing potential unrest, authorities in the city of 190,000 people moved snowploughs and other heavy equipment near the police department to serve as a barrier, according to local media.

Authorities also cancelled a festival planned for the July 4 weekend. – AFP, July 2, 2022

Related News

Opinion / 23h

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia / 2d

MP to raise commingled oil cargo tax uncertainty in Parliament

Business / 2d

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

World / 3d

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

Opinion / 1w

Wikipedia has become compromised by intelligence agencies and ideological capture

Opinion / 2w

Is the South China Sea moving from a ‘zone of peace’ towards the next conflict area?

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

Two police officers among seven killed in wrong-way crash on UK’s A66

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse