World

Controversial defence minister enters Indonesia presidential race

Prabowo Subianto, long accused of human rights abuses, begins his third bid for country’s top post

Updated 4 years ago · Published on 13 Aug 2022 7:00PM

Controversial defence minister enters Indonesia presidential race
Current Indonesian President Joko Widodo, who is constitutionally barred from seeking a third term, approves of Defence Minister Prabowo Subianto’s (pic) candidacy. – AFP pic, August 13, 2022

JAKARTA – Indonesian Defence Minister Prabowo Subianto has declared his entry into the country’s presidential race in 2024, his third bid for the top job in one of the world’s largest democracies.

The powerful minister is a controversial figure at home and internationally, having been accused of human rights abuses including involvement in the kidnapping and disappearance of pro-democracy activists in 1998.

Speaking late yesterday in front of thousands of members of the Great Indonesia Movement Party, or Gerindra, the former special forces commander accepted its nomination and said he was ready for the presidential bid.

“I am ready to keep fighting for the nation and the people, all my life and soul will be dedicated to our motherland,” Prabowo told the party meeting on the outskirts of the capital Jakarta.

Subianto has lost two previous bids for the presidential office, having been defeated by incumbent president and his former bitter election rival Joko Widodo in 2014 and 2019.

After his second defeat, Subianto and his team claimed the poll results were fraudulent, triggering protests in the capital that turned violent, with multiple deaths.

Widodo, who is constitutionally barred from seeking a third term, approved of Prabowo’s candidacy.

“That’s how democracy works. If a minister comes to me and tells me (he is running) there’s no way I’d say no, I can’t do that,” Widodo told journalists late yesterday.

“If that’s translated as me giving a blessing, be my guest.”

Subianto, a former son-in-law of Indonesia’s late dictator Suharto, has denied all allegations of his role in human rights abuses in Jakarta, restive province Papua and breakaway nation East Timor, and he has never been charged.

Amnesty International Indonesia called the 70-year-old’s appointment as defence minister in 2019 “a dark day for human rights”.

It also condemned the administration of then US president Donald Trump for granting Subianto a visa for a 2020 visit, after Washington had previously blocked his entry over the allegations. – AFP, August 13, 2022

Related News

World / 1w

Powerful earthquake strikes off coast of Indonesia; tsunami warning issued

Events / 2w

Former Indonesian president in Penang next month for inaugural Peace Dialogue

Malaysia / 4mth

Hajiji denies claims Sebatik Island land was handed over to Indonesia

Sports & Fitness / 6mth

Malaysia clinches three titles at Indonesia Masters

Sports & Fitness / 7mth

Valencia coach Fernando Martin dies in Indonesia boat accident

Malaysia / 8mth

Halmahera earthquake in Indonesia today poses no tsunami threat to Malaysia

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse

World

Two police officers among seven killed in wrong-way crash on UK’s A66

World

AirAsia flight undergoes cleaning after passenger ‘incident’ before Shanghai landing

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest