World

French cops held after beating black man ‘shamed us’: Macron

Michel Zecler was repeatedly beaten by officers for several minutes and subjected to racial abuse

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 28 Nov 2020 10:10AM

French cops held after beating black man ‘shamed us’: Macron
French President Emmanuel Macron is asking his government to come up with proposals to fight against discrimination. – AFP pic, November 27, 2020

PARIS – French authorities yesterday detained four police officers suspected of beating and racially abusing a black music producer here in a case that President Emmanuel Macron said "shames us".

Video carried by the Loopsider website shows how music producer Michel Zecler was repeatedly beaten by officers for several minutes and subjected to racial abuse as he tried to enter his music studio last weekend.

Celebrities including football World Cup winners Kylian Mbappe and Antoine Griezmann condemned the beating, while French star singer Aya Nakamura said she wished the producer strength, adding "thank you to those who filmed".

Macron yesterday called the incident an "unacceptable attack" and asked the French government to come up with proposals to "fight against discrimination".

The president spoke of images "which shame us", according to a statement released on social media.

"France must never allow hate or racism to spread," Macron said.

A presidential official said earlier yesterday that Macron was "very shocked" by the images that have sparked fresh accusations of systemic racism in the French police force.

'Hit him so hard' 

"They called me 'dirty nigger' several times to my face while they punched me," Zecler told reporters outside police headquarters where he lodged a formal complaint.

In one of the videos on Loopsider, a neighbour who filmed the scene from above said a plainclothes policeman punched a kneeling Zecler in the face "maybe seven times".

The policeman "hit him so hard that his hand hurt", the witness said.

The incident has raised questions over the future of Paris police chief Didier Lallement, already in the spotlight after the controversial forced removal of a migrant camp here earlier in the week.

It also put the government on the back foot as it tries to push through new security legislation that would restrict the right of the media to publish the faces of police officers.

Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin, who is in charge of the police forces, told French television that the officers had tarnished the reputation of France's security forces.

'Racist motive' 

The four officers, all men, were detained for questioning yesterday, a source close to the case told AFP.

The officers, who had already been suspended from duty, were being held at the National Police Inspectorate General (IGPN), and prosecutors opened an investigation into violence by a person in authority and false testimony, the source said.

Three of the four were being questioned on suspicion of "violence with a racist motive" committed intentionally in a group, prosecutors said. The fourth is being questioned on suspicion of using violence but is not accused of racism.

Zecler, 41, was initially himself detained for causing violence, but prosecutors threw out that probe and began investigating the officers instead.

"Nausea", said the front-page headline in the leftist Liberation daily over a close-up picture of Zecler's swollen and bloodied face.

"The new video of a rare ferocity... adds to a problem fed over the last months by a succession of blunders and a tendency to revert to authoritarian tendencies," it said.

'Unbearable' 

The death in US police custody of George Floyd in May and the Black Lives Matter movement have reverberated in France where allegations of brutality against police officers are commonplace, particularly in poor and ethnically diverse urban areas.

"The French police has a structural problem with violence committed against visible minorities," Fabien Jobard, a sociologist, told AFP.

"Unbearable video, unacceptable violence," Mbappe wrote on Twitter next to a picture of the injured producer. "Say no to racism."

The outcry comes after the lower house of parliament on Tuesday evening approved a security bill which would restrict the publication of photos or videos of police officers' faces.

Media unions say it could give police a green light to prevent journalists – and social media users – from  documenting abuses.

A protest against the draft law, which has yet to pass a Senate vote, has been called for today.

In the southern city of Toulouse protesters took to the streets yesterday evening brandishing placards with slogans like "police everywhere, justice nowhere".

In western Nantes, police said around 3,500 demonstrated, while organisers put the crowd at  6,000-7,000.

In a sign that the government could be preparing to backtrack, Prime Minister Jean Castex announced that he would appoint a commission to redraft Article 24 of the law that would restrict the publication of images of the police. – AFP, November 28, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 3d

Nepturis received RM16.4m for Klang Utara police headquarters, court told

Malaysia / 4d

Pahang police reject claims of drug cartel operating in Genting Highlands

Malaysia / 1w

Pilot drug case: Police probe yields new leads

Malaysia / 1w

Inspector, policewoman plead guilty to khalwat

Malaysia / 1w

Two suspects try to escape after proceedings at Kulim Court (video)

Malaysia / 2w

Court orders police to probe foreign management institute

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran