World

Leaked documents show China mishandled Covid-19 pandemic: report

Health authorities in Hubei record 5,918 new cases, more than double figure given by Beijing, says CNN

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 01 Dec 2020 10:36AM

Leaked documents show China mishandled Covid-19 pandemic: report
The Chinese government denies it deliberately concealed information relating to the coronavirus. – Twitter pic, December 1, 2020

KUALA LUMPUR – In a cache of leaked official documents, one of the many disclosed information pointed to China not having revealed real Covid-19 infection case numbers as early as February, reported CNN today.

CNN’s report is based on 117 pages of documents from the Hubei Provincial Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

One of the examples found it that February 10, Chinese authorities reported 2,478 new Covid-19 cases but the documents note a different scenario.

Local health authorities in Hubei province recorded 5,918 new cases instead, reported CNN, more than double the figure given by the Chinese government.

It is no secret that many countries, especially the US, have been severely critical of China and the World Health Organisation (WHO). The US has repeatedly accused WHO of dragging its feet on investigating how the outbreak first started.

Other critics have also voiced concern that the agency may have allowed China to dictate the terms of an international investigation into the origins of the virus, which first surfaced in the Chinese city of Wuhan late last year, reported AFP recently.

Since then, more than 1.46 million people have died and nearly 63 million have been infected worldwide.

Today marks one year since the first known patient showed Covid-19 symptoms in Wuhan, according to a study in the Lancet medical journal.

China, so far, has rejected these accusations, saying it did not deliberately conceal information relating to the virus.

CNN reported that the documents revealed inconsistencies in what authorities believed to be happening and what was told to the public.

Yesterday, WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus also rejected criticism over the lack of transparency on its investigations in China, saying that the names of the experts on the team and the terms of reference had been made public.

Further, CNN found that China’s system has an average of 23 days to diagnose confirmed patients, and testing failures meant most received negative results until January 10.

Also, the documents recorded a large and undisclosed outbreak of influenza in early December in Hubei, not just in the city of Wuhan, but in neighbouring cities of Yichang and Xianning.

The documents highlighted that the Chinese health authorities lack preparedness and the Hubei CDC is characterised as underfunded and lacking in equipment with unmotivated staff, said CNN.   

These findings were from an internal audit, which forensic analysis showed was written in October 2019.

The CDC internal report, CNN said, noted complaints over an absence of operational funding and that staffing budget is 29% short.

Now, China has largely managed to break the chain of transmission, with a low number of new daily cases with the occasional small-scale outbreaks.

However, many countries are battling resurgences of the coronavirus.

So far, 12 groups are working on coming up with a vaccine by early next year. – The Vibes, December 1, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 2d

Anwar backs One China policy, says Beijing can pursue reunification

Malaysia / 2d

Disturbed woman at KLIA taken to hospital, had forgotten to take medication

Malaysia / 2d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Malaysia / 3w

12 officers, police personnel arrested in RM2 million extortion case

Malaysia / 3w

Kedah MB’s “Cina ada China, India ada India” remark draws criticism over citizenship narrative

Tech / 1mth

Penang’s Tech Dome celebrates 10th anniversary with opening of new space gallery

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident