World

Boluarte calls for Peru ‘truce’ as protesters mass again in Lima

Visibly emotional president apologises several times for those killed in protests, but rules out resigning

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 25 Jan 2023 12:30PM

Boluarte calls for Peru ‘truce’ as protesters mass again in Lima
Many Peruvians remain angry at the December 7 ouster of then-president Pedro Castillo, who was arrested after attempting to dissolve Congress and rule by decree. – AFP pic, January 25, 2023

LIMA – Peru’s President Dina Boluarte called yesterday for a “national truce” to end weeks of nationwide unrest as protesters again clashed with police in the capital to press for her resignation and fresh elections.

Thousands of Peruvians from Andean regions, many in traditional dress, marched in central Lima chanting “Dina assassin,” blaming her for the deaths of 46 people, mainly demonstrators, since protests broke out last month.

Violent clashes erupted in central Lima yesterday evening as protesters threw stones and police responded with tear gas, according to an AFP journalist on the scene.

Many Peruvians remain angry at the December 7 ouster of then-president Pedro Castillo, who was arrested after attempting to dissolve Congress and rule by decree.

Boluarte, the vice president under Castillo, immediately assumed power.

Protests quickly broke out, largely fuelled by anger in poor rural regions in the south where inhabitants – mainly Indigenous – felt that Castillo, who has Indigenous roots himself, represented their interests rather than those of the Lima elite.

Demonstrators have kept up weeks of protests and roadblocks and are also demanding the dissolution of Congress and the rewriting of the constitution.

“I call on my dear country to a national truce to allow for the establishment of dialogue, to fix the agenda for each region and develop our towns,” Boluarte said in a press conference with foreign media. “I will not tire from calling for dialogue, peace and unity.”

A visibly emotional Boluarte apologised several times for those killed in the protests but ruled out resigning.

“I will go once we have called a general election... I have no intention of remaining in power.”

Under Peru’s current constitution, the president cannot run for immediate re-election.

‘We don’t believe her’

Boluarte said she was sure Congress would agree in February to advance elections, currently scheduled for April 2024.

Asked about her possible resignation, Boluarte scoffed at the idea that it would “solve the crisis and the violence.”

“We don’t believe her words anymore,” said protester Rosa Soncco, a 37-year-old hailing from the mountain town of Acomayo, in the southern Cusco region.

“We will stay here until the end, until she leaves,” she said.

Yesterday, police fired tear gas to repel demonstrators heading in the direction of Congress, AFP journalists saw. At least one person was bleeding from their head and an injured woman was heard screaming near an ambulance.

One protester carried a big doll with a bloody knife in its hand and a picture of Boluarte attached.

Boluarte is due to have a video meeting with the Organization of American States (OAS) today to discuss the situation in Peru.

Her government has come under fire from rights groups over alleged repression of protests and the disproportionate use of force by security forces.

Castillo ‘no victim’

Boluarte has called a state of emergency in Peru, allowing the army to assist police in maintaining order.

“I will appear before the OAS to tell the truth. The Peruvian government and especially Dina Boluarte have nothing to hide,” she said.

Boluarte claims some of the protesters were killed by ammunition that is not used by the police.

The president said the deaths “hurt me, as a woman, a mother and a daughter.”

She also hit out at her predecessor Castillo, saying he sparked unrest by trying to broaden his powers in a bid to avoid an impeachment vote and stave off corruption investigations.

“It suited him to stage a coup d’etat so he could play the victim and mobilize all this paramilitary apparatus so as not to answer before the public prosecutor for the acts of corruption that he is accused of,” said Boluarte.

“There is no victim here, Mr Castillo. There is a bleeding country because of your irresponsibility.”

Boluarte is from the same left-wing party as Castillo and was his running mate during his successful 2021 election campaign. She served as his vice president before replacing him. – AFP, January 25, 2023

Related News

Malaysia / 6mth

Rafizi calls on PH partners to make a clear stand over Azam Baki issue

World / 11mth

Nepal PM KP Sharma Oli resigns after violent anti-corruption protests

Malaysia / 1y

Shafie: Listen to the voices of students, not ignore them

Malaysia / 1y

Sabah NGO slams state government’s silence over New Year Eve rallies

Malaysia / 1y

Sabah Umno warns of tensions over two opposing groups on New Year’s Eve

Opinion / 2y

Requirement of notice to the police before an assembly is reasonable, constitutional – Hafiz Hassan

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline