World

Montreal evacuates homeless camp over safety concerns

Fire on Saturday, sparked by a candle, caused no injuries but ‘could have had catastrophic consequences,’

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 07 Dec 2020 2:03PM

Montreal evacuates homeless camp over safety concerns
Homeless people at a camp set up in the summer of 2020 along a busy Montreal boulevard on November 18, 2020.  – AFP pic, December 7, 2020

TORONTO – Montreal on Sunday ordered an “emergency evacuation” of a homeless camp that formed over the summer, citing safety reasons after a fire broke out the day before.

“Following several fires and in light of a large number of dangers on the site, including a lot of flammable material,” it was determined that “the safety of the occupants is seriously threatened,” the city said in a statement.

All along the edges of Notre-Dame Street, in the east of the city, the camp  – the first of its kind in Montreal  – has dozens of tents for homeless people, some of whom were thrown out of their homes because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The fire on Saturday, sparked by a candle, caused no injuries but “could have had catastrophic consequences,”  the city said. With the arrival of winter, there has been a “significant increase in the use of homemade heating equipment and flammable material.”

The evacuation request was made by representatives from the transportation ministry, which owns the site, firefighters and police officers. Social workers were on site Sunday to accompany camp occupants to emergency accommodation.

Montreal mayor Valerie Plante said the city would “do what is necessary to accommodate the campers in a safe place.”

No force was used, and no campsites were destroyed, said police spokesman Jean-Pierre Brabant.

Brabant added that most of the occupants were still at the camp Sunday evening.

“We used a community approach to try to relocate people to a safe and warm place because we know that in the next few days, temperatures will change," he said.

Montreal said it is making “unprecedented efforts to ensure the safety of people in a situation of homelessness,” adding it has doubled resources compared to last winter, including 400 additional emergency beds. – AFP, December 7, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 6mth

No new cases of Nipah virus reported in Malaysia so far - MOH

Culture / 6mth

Penang-born 91-year-old pianist shows he still has what it takes

Malaysia / 9mth

ASEAN Summit: New Japan, Thailand PMs Among Leaders Arriving Today

People / 10mth

Malaysia ranked 22nd friendliest country in 2025

Malaysia / 1y

Programmer loses more than RM2.3m in love scam involving man introduced by aunt

Opinion / 1y

Trump’s trade blitz nears reckoning — and Southeast Asia can’t look away

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit