World

Johnson & Johnson proposes US$8.9 bil settlement of cancer claims 

Pharmaceutical giant says newly proposed payout ‘not admission of wrongdoing’

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 05 Apr 2023 6:00PM

Johnson & Johnson proposes US$8.9 bil settlement of cancer claims 
Hohnson & Johnson yesterday has proposed a new settlement worth US$8.9 billion to resolve years-old suits claiming that its talcum powder products caused cancer. – @MothershipSG Twitter pic, April 5, 2023

NEW YORK – US pharmaceutical giant Johnson & Johnson yesterday proposed an US$8.9 billion settlement to resolve years-old suits claiming that its talcum powder products caused cancer.  

The New Jersey-based company said the proposed settlement, which still needs the approval of a bankruptcy court, “will equitably and efficiently resolve all claims arising from cosmetic talc litigation.”  

If approved by the court and a majority of the plaintiffs, the US$8.9 billion payout would be one of the largest product liability settlements ever in the United States, ranking alongside those entered into by tobacco companies and, more recently, opioid manufacturers.  

J&J has been facing thousands of suits over talcum powder containing traces of asbestos blamed for causing ovarian cancer.  

The firm has never admitted wrongdoing but stopped selling its talc-based baby powder in the United States and Canada in May 2020.  

“The company continues to believe that these claims are specious and lack scientific merit,” Erik Haas, J&J’s vice president of litigation, said in a statement.  

J&J said the US$8.9 billion would be paid to the tens of thousands of claimants over 25 years through a J&J subsidiary, LTL Management LLC, which was set up to address the claims and has filed for bankruptcy protection.  

It said that LTL has “secured commitments from over 60,000 current claimants to support a global resolution on these terms.”  

A previous settlement involving LTL was rejected by an appellate court and a bankruptcy court will now have to approve the new LTL bankruptcy filing and settlement.  

J&J had previously proposed a settlement of US$2 billion in response to the allegations that its cosmetic talc caused gynecological cancers.  

The company said the newly proposed settlement is not “an admission of wrongdoing, nor an indication that the company has changed its longstanding position that its talcum powder products are safe.”  

“Nonetheless, resolving this matter as quickly and efficiently as possible is in the best interests of the company and all stakeholders,” J&J said.  

According to Haas, the settlement “allows claimants to be compensated in a timely manner, and enables the company to remain focused on our commitment to profoundly and positively impact health for humanity.” – AFP, April 5, 2023

Related News

Opinion / 4y

Stop the sale of talc-based products – Consumers Association of Penang

World / 4y

US drug regulator limits use of J&J Covid-19 vaccine

World / 4y

Johnson & Johnson booster jab highly effective against severe Omicron: study

World / 4y

CDC recommends Pfizer, Moderna jabs over rare J&J blood clot risk

Business / 4y

Iconic corporate names breaking up in trend to boost value

World / 4y

US court overturns historic opioid ruling against Johnson & Johnson

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest