World

US court overturns historic opioid ruling against Johnson & Johnson

Drugmaker says it has stopped production, sale of prescription opioid medications in US

Updated 4 years ago · Published on 10 Nov 2021 11:00PM

US court overturns historic opioid ruling against Johnson & Johnson
In 2019, a judge ruled Johnson & Johnson had created a ‘public nuisance’ with its marketing of prescription pain pills, saying it had adopted ‘deceptive’ marketing practices to promote opioids. – AFP pic, November 10, 2021

NEW YORK – The Oklahoma State Supreme Court yesterday overturned a historic decision to fine United States pharmaceutical giant Johnson & Johnson (J&J) US$465 million (RM1.93 billion) for its role in the opioid crisis. 

In 2019, a judge had ordered the company to pay the sum to finance programmes to combat the opioid crisis, which has caused more than 500,000 deaths in 20 years in the US. 

The judge ruled the company had created a “public nuisance” with its marketing of prescription pain pills, saying it had adopted “deceptive” marketing practices to promote opioids.

It is the first civil judgment linked to opiates against a drug company in the US. The state initially claimed some US$17 billion dollars in costs, corresponding to 20 years of financing of these programmes. 

On appeal, the Oklahoma Supreme Court ruled the judge should not have relied on the public nuisance law to condemn J&J’s manufacturing, marketing and sales practices, and overturned his decision. 

J&J, like other pharmaceutical giants such as Purdue, the manufacturer of OxyContin, and major US drug distributors, have been accused of over-promoting their pain-relieving drugs from 1996 onwards, causing a crisis in addiction and an explosion of overdoses. 

Distributors AmerisourceBergen, Cardinal Health and McKesson, as well as J&J, agreed in late July to pay US$26 billion to settle thousands of disputes related to the opioid crisis. 

J&J said in June it had stopped production and sale of prescription opioid medications in the US. 

Purdue, for its part, declared bankruptcy and agreed to pay US$4.5 billion to victims and institutions that had been affected, in exchange for a certain civil immunity for its owners, the Sackler family. That case is still ongoing. – AFP, November 10, 2021

Related News

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Malaysia / 2y

Sanctions on 4 Malaysia-based companies still in place, says US official

Business / 2y

US court orders J&J, Kenvue to pay US$45 million over death of baby powder user

World / 2y

Aid for Ukraine held hostage by US politics

Malaysia / 2y

Cops say no info yet on repatriation of two Malaysians from Guantanamo Bay

Malaysia / 2y

Penang-born fugitive Fat Leonard sent back to the US

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline