World

Telegram app to appeal suspension over neo-Nazi probe

Executive director Pavel Durov vows to ‘stand up for users in Brazil’

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 28 Apr 2023 11:30AM

Telegram app to appeal suspension over neo-Nazi probe
Investigators have asked Telegram for the personal data of members of two stated anti-Semitic groups on the platform. – AFP pic, April 28, 2023

SAO PAULO – Messaging app Telegram said yesterday it will appeal a fine and suspension imposed by a Brazilian court after its parent company failed to provide data sought by authorities on neo-Nazis operating on the network.

The court fined Telegram a million reais (RM895,612) per day and ordered the temporary suspension of its activities for failing to assist a probe into neo-Nazi activity on social networks related to violence in schools. 

The app’s executive director, Pavel Durov, vowed to “stand up for our users in Brazil and their right to private communication”.

He insisted that the data sought was “technologically impossible for us to obtain”.

“We are appealing the decision and are looking forward to the final resolution,” he added.

Yesterday, Brazilian users complained of instability in the app and shared advice on how to circumvent the blockage.

Justice Minister Flavio Dino said on Wednesday that groups with anti-Semitic names were “acting in those networks, and we know that this is at the core of violence against our children”, he added, in reference to a recent spate of attacks in schools.

Earlier this month, a man carrying a hatchet killed four children between the ages of 4 and 7 at their school in the same week as two other, non-fatal school attacks.

Last month, a 13-year-old boy killed a teacher in a knife attack at a school in Sao Paulo.

And last November, a 16-year-old shooter killed four people and injured more than 10 others in twin attacks on two schools in Aracruz, in the southeastern state of Espirito Santo.

The G1 news portal, citing police sources, reported the teenager had allegedly interacted with anti-Semitic groups on Telegram.

According to a document from the federal justice authority in Espirito Santo, investigators had asked Telegram for the personal data of members of two stated anti-Semitic groups on the platform.

The company handed over only data on the administrator of one of the groups, said the document, adding there was “intent by Telegram not to cooperate with the ongoing investigation”. – AFP, April 28, 2023

Related News

Malaysia / 11mth

Court issues order to stop Telegram from disseminating harmful content

Malaysia / 1y

Action against Telegram, Edisi Siasat channel for violating Act 588 – Fahmi

Malaysia / 2y

Thailand's raw sugar export restriction won’t affect affect supply in M’sia: minister

World / 2y

Bigger BRICS ‘stronger, more important’ says Brazil’s Lula

Fashion / 3y

Plus-size movement reshapes fashion in Brazil

World / 3y

Iraq blocks Telegram over ‘national security’, privacy concerns

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Two police officers among seven killed in wrong-way crash on UK’s A66

World

AirAsia flight undergoes cleaning after passenger ‘incident’ before Shanghai landing

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations