World

Marcos admits abuses in Duterte’s drug war

Philippine president says predecessor ‘focused very much on enforcement’

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 05 May 2023 4:30PM

Marcos admits abuses in Duterte’s drug war
According to official police records, more than 6,000 people had been killed in Rodrigo Duterte’s war on drugs, which he launched after he was elected Philippine president in 2016 on an anti-crime campaign. – AFP pic, May 5, 2023

MANILA – Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr said there were “abuses by certain elements in the government” during his predecessor’s campaign against illegal drugs, which left thousands dead, reported news agency dpa.

In a forum at the Centre for Strategic and International Studies in Washington today, Marcos Jr said the administration of former president Rodrigo Duterte “focused very much on enforcement” in its war on drugs.

“Because of that, it could be said that there were abuses by certain elements in the government that have caused concerns from many quarters about the human rights situation of the Philippines,” he said when asked about the government under Duterte.

According to official police records, more than 6,000 people were killed in the war on drugs, which was launched by Duterte after he was elected president in 2016 on an anti-crime campaign.

Human rights groups have alleged that the death toll could be three times higher. Questions have also arisen about whether the suspects were extrajudicially killed by police and whether some of those killed actually had any role in drug sales.

Marcos Jr said he could not speak about “what (Duterte) had in mind” but noted that illegal drugs remain “the source of many, much criminality” in the Philippines.

“The syndicates have become wealthier, more influential. But instead of going after everyone, we have tried to identify the key areas that we have to attend to so we can see a demolition of the activity of drug syndicates.”

Marcos Jr was in the United States for a four-day official visit, during which he discussed regional security amid tensions with China and bilateral relations with US President Joe Biden and Vice-President Kamala Harris. – Bernama, May 5, 2023

Related News

Opinion / 2w

Is the South China Sea moving from a ‘zone of peace’ towards the next conflict area?

Opinion / 2mth

ASEAN’s renaissance: A new lease of life in the multipolar world

Malaysia / 3mth

PM Anwar proposes ASEAN food security standby arrangement during crises

Malaysia / 4mth

Petronas denies involvement in reported diesel shipment to Philippines

Malaysia / 4mth

Sabah claim frequently used as political polemic in Philippines - Hajiji

Malaysia / 5mth

Farm Fresh confirms farm director killed in helicopter crash in Philippines

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Two police officers among seven killed in wrong-way crash on UK’s A66

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen