World

ICC drops probe into British war crimes in Iraq

Chief prosecutor says no evidence Britain shielded suspects from prosecution before British courts

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 10 Dec 2020 12:30PM

ICC drops probe into British war crimes in Iraq
In June, an independent British investigator looking into allegations that UK soldiers committed war crimes in Iraq between 2003 and 2009 says all but one of the thousands of complaints have been dropped. – Pixabay pic, December 10, 2020

THE HAGUE – The International Criminal Court's chief prosecutor announced yesterday she was shutting down a preliminary probe into alleged war crimes committed by British soldiers after the US-led invasion in Iraq.

Fatou Bensouda's announcement comes after a "rigorous" six-year long investigation into the conduct of British military personnel, particularly into the treatment of Iraqi prisoners in detention.

The prosecutor based had said in 2017 there was "reasonable basis" to believe British soldiers did commit war crimes. Yesterday, however, she said she could not find any evidence that Britain had shielded suspects from prosecution before British courts.

"Having exhausted reasonable lines of enquiry arising from the information available, I, therefore, determined that the only professionally appropriate decision at this stage is to close the preliminary examination," Bensouda said in a statement.

As a result, the court will not proceed to a full ICC investigation.

'Victims deprived' 

Set up in 2002 as the only independent court to prosecute the world's worst crimes, the ICC is a "court of last resort", getting involved only if its member countries are unwilling or unable to prosecute suspects.

In June, an independent British investigator looking into allegations that UK soldiers committed war crimes in Iraq between 2003 and 2009 said all but one of the thousands of complaints had been dropped.

Bensouda did criticise an initial British response to the allegations as inadequate, weakened "by a lack of a genuine effort to carry out relevant investigations independently or impartially".

She acknowledged that the British authorities had subsequently made efforts to properly probe abuses, but complained that not a single case had been prosecuted after a decade-long investigation, "depriving victims of justice".

Her office also "identified numerous concerns with respect to how specific decisions on certain matters were arrived at" during Britain's domestic probe.

"The ICC, however, is not a human rights body called upon to decide whether in domestic proceedings the requirements of human rights law or domestic law have been violated," Bensouda said.

"Instead, it is tasked with determining whether it should exercise its own competence in a criminal case, in place of a state."

'Ugly double standard' 

In this case, the ICC would get involved only if it believed there was no genuine attempt to bring suspects to justice.

After a detailed inquiry, Bensouda said her office "could not substantiate allegations that the UK investigative and prosecutorial bodies had engaged in shielding, based on a careful scrutiny of the information before it".

Human Rights Watch, however, lamented the decision, saying the British government "has repeatedly shown precious little interest in investigating and prosecuting atrocities committed abroad by British troops".

"The prosecutor's decision to close her UK inquiry will doubtless fuel perceptions of an ugly double standard in justice: one approach to powerful states and quite another for those with less clout," said Clive Baldwin, a senior legal adviser with the group.

The world war crimes court is also involved in probing possible war crimes committed by US and other forces in nearby Afghanistan.

The US has always refused to recognise the ICC's authority, and a move to go ahead with that investigation earlier this year provoked anger in Washington.

US President Donald Trump then took the unprecedented step of ordering sanctions against Bensouda and another senior court official. – AFP, December 10, 2020

Related News

World / 3w

Former ICC prosecutor defends Khan over Gaza war crimes case

Opinion / 1mth

Strong protest: Irresponsible interview attempts to influence ICC member state voting

World / 1mth

Spain refuses to stay silent as pressure mounts on defenders of international justice

Opinion / 1mth

When institutions rewrite the rules, we should all be concerned

Opinion / 1mth

Justice must never ask permission: Karim Khan, the ICC and the world today

World / 1y

Malaysian lawyer involved in allegations against ICC chief prosecutor; possible external link?

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran