World

Beijing blames US ‘provocation’ for South China Sea fighter jet incident

Long term, frequent sending of planes for close surveillance harms sovereignty, says spokesman

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 31 May 2023 4:42PM

Beijing blames US ‘provocation’ for South China Sea fighter jet incident
This screen grab made from video taken on May 26, and released yesterday by the US Indo-Pacific Command via the Defence Visual Information Distribution Service shows a J-16 fighter pilot from China flying in front of the nose of a US Air Force RC-135 aircraft over the South China Sea in international airspace. – AFP pic, May 31, 2023

BEIJING – Beijing blamed US “provocation” today for an incident last week when a Chinese plane crossed in front of an American surveillance aircraft over the South China Sea.

“The United States’ long-term and frequent sending of ships and planes to conduct close surveillance on China seriously harms China’s national sovereignty and security,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Mao Ning said when asked about the incident.

“This kind of provocative, dangerous activity is the cause of the security issues on the seas,” Mao said, calling on Washington to “immediately stop this form of dangerous provocation”.

“China will continue to take all necessary steps to resolutely protect its own sovereignty and security,” she said.

The US military said Tuesday a Chinese fighter pilot performed an “unnecessarily aggressive manoeuvre” near an American surveillance aircraft operating over the South China Sea on Friday.

Video footage declassified and released by the US military shows a Chinese fighter plane crossing in front of the American aircraft, which can be seen shaking from the resulting turbulence.

The Chinese plane “flew directly in front of and within 400 feet of the nose of the RC-135, forcing the US aircraft to fly through its wake turbulence”, the Indo-Pacific Command said in a statement.

“The RC-135 was conducting safe and routine operations over the South China Sea in international airspace, in accordance with international law,” it said.

The Pentagon said the incident was part of a pattern of behaviour by China.

It comes at a time of frayed ties between Washington and Beijing over issues including Taiwan and an alleged Chinese spy balloon that was shot down after traversing the US earlier this year. – AFP, May 31, 2023

Related News

Malaysia / 7h

Billionaire numbers reach record high as wealth remains concentrated

Malaysia / 4d

Anwar backs One China policy, says Beijing can pursue reunification

Malaysia / 4d

Disturbed woman at KLIA taken to hospital, had forgotten to take medication

Malaysia / 4d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion / 2w

Is the South China Sea moving from a ‘zone of peace’ towards the next conflict area?

Malaysia / 4w

12 officers, police personnel arrested in RM2 million extortion case

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan

World

AirAsia flight undergoes cleaning after passenger ‘incident’ before Shanghai landing

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations