World

At Fukushima, Tepco begins testing equipment to release contaminated water

China blasts discharge plan, says ocean is not ‘not Japan’s private sewer’

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 12 Jun 2023 5:00PM

At Fukushima, Tepco begins testing equipment to release contaminated water
The Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant has been generating a massive amount of water tainted with radioactive substances from cooling down the nuclear fuel in the reactor buildings. – AFP pic, June 12, 2023

TOKYO – The operator of Japan’s crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant began testing the equipment to discharge radiation-contaminated water into the Pacific amid fierce opposition from home and abroad, Xinhua quoted local media today.

According to national broadcaster NHK, Tokyo Electric Power Company (Tepco) started the trial operation this morning by mixing fresh water and seawater that does not contain radioactive substances to confirm whether the sea discharge equipment can operate reliably.

The test run of the discharge facility is expected to last for around two weeks, it added.

Last week, Tepco finished sending seawater into an underwater tunnel built in front of the nuclear plant for its planned discharge, adding that it plans to complete all facility-related preparations by the end of this month.

Despite ongoing opposition from domestic experts, civic groups and fishery organisations, Japan has been rushing to dump the contaminated water into the ocean, which has also incited protests from neighbouring nations and communities within the Pacific Islands.

On Saturday, Japanese Industry Minister Yasutoshi Nishimura met with local fisheries representatives to seek their understanding for the planned release in Mito, Ibaraki Prefecture, where representatives expressed grave concerns over the move, saying: “We’re absolutely opposed to the release.”

They said the plan to release the wastewater over decades is “fuelling anxiety about the future and doubt about continuous fishing operations”.

“The ocean is humanity’s common good, not Japan’s private sewer,” Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said on Wednesday, adding that it is “extremely selfish and irresponsible” for Japan to dump the radiation-contaminated water into the ocean.

Hit by a magnitude-9.0 earthquake and an ensuing tsunami on March 11, 2011, the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant suffered core meltdowns that released radiation, resulting in a level-seven nuclear accident, the highest on the International Nuclear and Radiological Event scale.

The plant has been generating a massive amount of water tainted with radioactive substances from cooling down the nuclear fuel in the reactor buildings. The wastewater is now stored in about 1,000 storage tanks.

As Japan considers discharging into the sea as the cheapest option with the minimum risk of polluting Japan itself, “it is extremely selfish and irresponsible to let the whole world bear the cost and save money for Japan itself,” Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang said. – Bernama, June 12, 2023

Related News

Malaysia / 4d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Malaysia / 1w

Malaysian dies while transiting in Bangkok to Japan (video)

World / 3w

7.1-magnitude earthquake hits Japan’s Kyushu island

Malaysia / 2mth

PM: Students abroad should gain positive values ​​from the local community

Malaysia / 3mth

PM Anwar instructs MetMalaysia to expedite cloud seeding in Kedah, Perlis

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

Thomas Cup: A boost for Zii Jia despite Malaysia losing to Japan

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan

World

AirAsia flight undergoes cleaning after passenger ‘incident’ before Shanghai landing

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war