Malaysia

Kelantan Police Chief urges Ramadan caution amid blasts in southern Thailand

Cross-border trips for iftar provisions discouraged as security incidents persist in Narathiwat; authorities say illegal entry into Kelantan remains under control

Updated 6 months ago · Published on 16 Feb 2026 2:40PM

Kelantan Police Chief urges Ramadan caution amid blasts in southern Thailand
Police receive reports of blasts in southern Thailand on an almost daily basis, warning that such incidents could pose a threat to public safety - February 16, 2026

THE Chief of Police in Kelantan has urged residents to refrain from travelling to southern Thailand in search of food for breaking fast during Ramadan, citing ongoing security concerns following a spate of explosions across the border.

Datuk Mohd Yusoff Mamat said police receive reports of blasts in southern Thailand on an almost daily basis, warning that such incidents could pose a threat to public safety.

"Kelantan residents in particular are advised not to go there solely to purchase food for breaking fast, as our own state has numerous Ramadan bazaars throughout the fasting month.

"In terms of prices, they are almost the same, so it is better not to take the risk of travelling to the neighbouring country given that the situation there remains unsettled," he said.

He was speaking to reporters after attending a ceremony for the presentation of Superintendent rank insignia and the handover of duties for the Heads of the Logistics and Technology Department, as well as the District Police Chiefs of Machang and Pasir Puteh, at the Kelantan Police Contingent Headquarters in Kota Bharu.

The warning follows earlier media reports that seven small explosions shook two districts in the restive province of Narathiwat from Saturday night until the early hours of Sunday.

The incidents were believed to be part of a coordinated attempt to spark tensions ahead of Ramadan.

No injuries were reported, although several shops and a motorcycle were damaged.

In a separate development, Mohd Yusoff said that the entry of undocumented migrants into Kelantan remains under control, with authorities carrying out numerous operations to combat cross-border crime.

"So far, most of the foreign nationals detained are from Myanmar. Illegal entry via river routes has declined, and many reports indicate that activities are now more active along sea routes.

"Therefore, we are strengthening integrated operations with the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency and the Marine Police," he said.

He added that integrated operations with the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency and the Marine Police have been strengthened in response to shifting trafficking routes, particularly by sea. - February 16, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Anwar: Felda’s RM2.5b Eagle High Investment could shrink to RM200m

Malaysia

PN has no right to prevent BN from negotiating with any party

Malaysia

Immigration's 'Black Maria' driver charged with causing death of three family members

Malaysia

Haze crisis deepens as six Sarawak areas enter unhealthy air quality levels

Malaysia

Rockys death: No gatherings as Shah, Roghini arrive at Klang court

Malaysia

MP to raise commingled oil cargo tax uncertainty in Parliament