Malaysia

Confusion reigns as akad nikah SOPs baffle

New guidelines for Muslim solemnisation ceremonies force couples to rethink prior arrangements

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 19 Feb 2021 12:00PM

Confusion reigns as akad nikah SOPs baffle
One Muslim groom tells The Vibes that changes to akad nikah SOPs has him scrambling to make changes, with his solemnisation ceremony less than three days away. – Facebook pic, February 19, 2021

by A. Azim Idris

KUALA LUMPUR – With less than three days before his akad nikah (solemnisation) ceremony, a Muslim groom said he is in the dark on the new standard operating procedures (SOPs) for tying the knot, after the government loosened some restrictions yesterday.

Yesterday, Senior Minister (Security) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said akad nikah ceremonies in movement control order (MCO) areas will be allowed in religious offices and mosques, with up to 20 people in attendance, while in conditional MCO and recovery MCO areas, such events are allowed at half-capacity, so long as attendees observe the 1m physical-distancing rule. 

The groom, who identified himself only as Alim, told The Vibes that the latest flip-flop meant he will need to make major changes to prior arrangements, now that more people are allowed to attend the ceremony.

He said he now feels a rush to invite other close family and friends to attend his big day.

“The announcement may have made it easier for me to have more guests, but I am afraid the new guidelines and protocols may not be in time for my akad nikah to ensure we are really complying with safety measures.”

Earlier this month, the Federal Territories Islamic Religious Department (Jawi) announced it would allow akad nikah ceremonies for Muslims at mosques here, in Putrajaya and Labuan.

Alim said prior to Ismail Sabri’s announcement, he was told that a maximum of six people were allowed at the location of the akad nikah at any one time

“I was told by a jurunikah (marriage official) that the small group will only include the couple, the bride’s wali (custodian), two other family members, and a photographer.”

On February 7, Jawi issued a set of guidelines for akad nikah ceremonies taking place during the MCO. 

Other than relevant marriage laws and the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Act 1988, the document noted that the SOPs are based on instructions by the National Security Council (NSC) and the Health Ministry. 

Senior Minister (Security) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob announced yesterday that akad nikah ceremonies in MCO, CMCO and RMCO areas are allowed, but with strict SOPs in place.– File pic, February 19, 2021
Senior Minister (Security) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob announced yesterday that akad nikah ceremonies in MCO, CMCO and RMCO areas are allowed, but with strict SOPs in place.– File pic, February 19, 2021

General conditions to allow the akad nikah to take place include the obtaining of marriage approval from Jawi, as well as HIV test results that are within the validity period at the time of the ceremony. 

Those from outside the Federal Territories are also allowed to get married by first gaining approval from their respective state religious authorities.

Muslim couples wanting to get married are required to make an appointment with Jawi here, in Putrajaya or Labuan to set a time and date for the ceremony.

The ceremonies must only take place in mosques in the Federal Territories.

The limited number of attendees must also not have any Covid-19 symptoms, cannot be a close contact of an infected person, nor be from an area under the enhanced MCO. The timeframe for each ceremony is set at a maximum of 20 minutes.

The bride, groom and bride’s custodian must undergo swab tests and the results must be presented to officials before the ceremony can be carried out.

Alim said the swab tests are not compulsory for Jawi officials overseeing the ceremony.

He was also perplexed as to why Jawi only allowed two witnesses to be appointed by the mosque, and not among family members or friends. 

“It makes no sense as the witnesses could be exposed to the virus from other wedding groups.”

However, with the new SOPs, he is unsure if the witnesses still needed to be from Jawi.

He said while he understood the reasons for having strict SOPs and limited number of guests, religious authorities could improve their methods of conveying information, such as giving illustrations of how ceremonies should proceed. 

“This will help us avoid confusion on the day, and to ensure we abide by the SOPs.”

The Vibes has reached out to Jawi for comment and has yet to receive a response at press time. – The Vibes, February 19, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 3h

Malaysia records 6% GDP growth in Q2 despite global headwinds, says Sim

Malaysia / 1d

Anwar backs One China policy, says Beijing can pursue reunification

Malaysia / 2d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Events / 1w

Industry experts gather for IPMEX 2026 in Kuala Lumpur

Malaysia / 1w

Thai officer involved in mid-air disturbance on Malaysia-Bangkok flight (video)

Malaysia / 1w

Sabah and Sarawak can become 'kingmakers', determine who will lead Federal government

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Malaysia

Immigration's 'Black Maria' driver charged with causing death of three family members

Malaysia

Online scam content removed surges 15-fold to nearly 100,000 in Malaysia

Malaysia

Wife of Pantai Jerejak ADUN urges court to drop case against husband

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Defence readiness lifts as regional military activity, new threats intensify

Malaysia

SK Air Hitam Labu student among three killed after being hit by immigration truck

Malaysia

Pahang hospitals test drones to deliver blood samples

Malaysia

Former investment bank CEO charged with RM139.8m fraud

Malaysia

Student involved in bullying case remanded, released on bail