Business

US judge removes China’s Xiaomi from Trump-era blacklist

Magistrate says authorities failed to make case that ‘national security interests at stake are compelling’

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 13 Mar 2021 4:30PM

US judge removes China’s Xiaomi from Trump-era blacklist
Xiaomi, which overtook Apple last year to become the world’s third-largest smartphone manufacturer, says Washington’s moves were ‘incorrect’ and had ‘deprived the company of legal due process’. – AFP pic, March 13, 2021

WASHINGTON – A US judge yesterday ordered Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi temporarily removed from a government blacklist barring American investment in the company.

Six days before Donald Trump left office last year, his administration cemented its trade war legacy against Beijing with a series of announcements targeting Chinese firms including Xiaomi, state oil giant CNOOC, and social media darling TikTok.

Xiaomi was one of nine firms classified by the Pentagon as “Communist Chinese military companies”.

But US district judge Rudolph Contreras in Washington ruled yesterday the Departments of Defence and Treasury “have not made the case that the national security interests at stake here are compelling”.

He issued a preliminary injunction removing Xiaomi from the blacklist and suspending the ban on US investors buying the company’s securities.

In an appeal filed in January against its blacklisting, Xiaomi – which overtook Apple last year to become the world’s third-largest smartphone manufacturer – said Washington’s moves were “incorrect” and had “deprived the company of legal due process”.

Contreras’s decision came the same day US regulators listed Huawei and ZTE among Chinese telecom gear firms deemed a threat to national security, signalling that a hoped-for softening of relations is not on the cards.

Huawei chief and founder Ren Zhengfei last month called for a reset with the United States under President Joe Biden, after the firm was battered by sanctions imposed by Trump’s administration.

The telecoms giant has been at the centre of the Sino-American rivalry in recent years, against a backdrop of a trade and technology war between the superpowers.

Washington claims Huawei has close ties to China’s military and that Beijing could use its equipment for espionage – accusations the company denies. – AFP, March 13, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 3d

Anwar backs One China policy, says Beijing can pursue reunification

Malaysia / 3d

Disturbed woman at KLIA taken to hospital, had forgotten to take medication

Malaysia / 4d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Malaysia / 3w

12 officers, police personnel arrested in RM2 million extortion case

Malaysia / 4w

Kedah MB’s “Cina ada China, India ada India” remark draws criticism over citizenship narrative

Tech / 1mth

Penang’s Tech Dome celebrates 10th anniversary with opening of new space gallery

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir