Malaysia

Police identify suspect as probes intensify over online insult on Sultan of Selangor

Authorities have identified the individual behind a Facebook post allegedly insulting the Sultan of Selangor

Updated 3 months ago · Published on 27 Apr 2026 2:39PM

Police identify suspect as probes intensify over online insult on Sultan of Selangor
Investigations widen as political leaders call for firm action to safeguard respect for the monarchy and public order - April 27, 2026

POLICE have identified the individual behind a social media post alleged to have insulted His Majesty Sultan of Selangor, Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah, as investigations gather pace amid mounting calls from state leaders for decisive enforcement action.

Royal Malaysia Police said the post, uploaded on April 25, is under close scrutiny, with investigators already moving to secure evidence and establish the full circumstances surrounding the case.

Bukit Aman Criminal Investigation Department director Datuk M Kumar said the identity of the account owner or administrator had been established and enforcement measures were under way.

“Investigations against the individual are ongoing, including the seizure of devices used to upload the post by the Classified Criminal Investigation Unit (D5), Prosecution and Legal Division of the Criminal Investigation Department, in collaboration with the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission,” he said.

He added that police have so far received 21 reports nationwide in connection with the incident, with 21 individuals, including complainants, having their statements recorded to assist investigations.

M Kumar said the case is being investigated under Section 4(1) of the Sedition Act 1948, which carries a fine of up to RM5,000 or imprisonment of up to three years, or both, upon conviction.

“Investigations are also being conducted under Section 504 of the Penal Code for intentional insult with intent to provoke a breach of the peace, which carries a prison sentence of up to two years or a fine, or both.

“Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998 is also being applied for improper use of network facilities, which carries a fine of up to RM500,000 or imprisonment of up to two years, or both,” he said.

Police stressed there would be no compromise against any party misusing social media to touch on sensitive issues involving religion, royalty and race.

The development follows strong condemnation from members of the Selangor state executive council, who warned that such content undermines respect for national institutions and could threaten public harmony.

State Housing and Culture Committee chairman Datuk Borhan Aman Shah described the act as a grave affront to the institution of the Malay Rulers.

“Those involved must not be shielded, regardless of their background or the reasons given,” he said.

State Islamic Affairs and Cultural Innovation Committee chairman Dr Mohammad Fahmi Ngah cautioned that the circulation of edited images linked to the Sultan could inflame tensions.

“I urge PDRM to conduct investigations and take action against those involved, while MCMC must monitor, block and remove such offensive content,” he said.

Other state leaders, including Ng Sze Han, Mohd Najwan Halimi, Datuk Rizam Ismail and V. Papparaidu, also condemned the post, reinforcing calls for swift and firm enforcement action.

Authorities said the case underscores the need for responsible use of digital platforms, particularly when dealing with matters touching on the monarchy and national unity. - April 27, 2026

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Malaysia

API below 200: All schools in Sarawak will reopen tomorrow

Malaysia

Govt targets 30% cut in imported seed dependence by 2040

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Billionaire numbers reach record high as wealth remains concentrated

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Melaka election: MCA targets seven seats, aims to take two from DAP

Malaysia

Poor air quality: Sharp rise in asthma cases

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

PM Anwar receives royal honour from Brunei Sultan