Malaysia

Cops eye extradition of suspects in Nov 24 border shooting

PDRM to set up special taskforce over the matter

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 02 Dec 2020 9:19PM

Cops eye extradition of suspects in Nov 24 border shooting
Bukit Aman CID director Datuk Huzir Mohamed says three suspects behind the Nov 24 incident at the Malaysia-Thai border are being sought. – Bernama pic, December 2, 2020

KANGAR – The Royal Malaysia Police (PDRM) will set up a special taskforce to facilitate the extradition of three Thai suspects involved in a shootout with members of the Malaysian General Operations Force (GOF) at the Malaysia-Thailand border last week.

Bukit Aman CID director Datuk Huzir Mohamed said the three suspects which included the main mastermind behind the incident were being sought to continue investigations in Malaysia.

“We really need the three suspects to get more information regarding the incident, and they are believed to be under detention in Southern Thailand,” he told reporters here today.

In the early morning incident on November 24, GOF personnel Sergeant Baharuddin Ramli, 54, was killed while his patrol partner Sergeant Norihan Tari, 39, was seriously injured after a shootout with a group of smugglers, about 600m from the TS9 control post in Padang Besar.

“We will get in touch and hold discussions with the Attorney General's Chambers, the Malaysian Embassy in Bangkok and the Royal Thai Police to continue with the investigation,” he said.

Earlier, Huzir held a closed door meeting with the Perlis police contingent led by its chief Datuk Surina Saad to discuss the matter.

He said 22 suspects had so far been detained by PDRM, and the case was being investigated under Sections 302 and 307 of the Penal Code for murder and attempted murder.

Meanwhile, Surina said 15 local suspects who were previously arrested by the contingent would be handed over to the Kedah police to assist with investigations into the shooting incident in Bukit Kayu Hitam on November 25 as well as several other cases.

A day after the shooting incident in Padang Besar, a GOF personnel who was on duty at the M16 post in Bukit Kayu Hitam was injured in the abdomen after he was believed to have been shot at with an air rifle from the other side of the border. – Bernama, December 2, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 3d

Death of Rocky: Individual expected to be charged tomorrow

Malaysia / 2w

MP demands explanation over arrest of two podcasters, questions police consistency

Malaysia / 2w

Police open five investigation papers into Tabung Haji financial issues raised in RCI report

Malaysia / 2w

11 dead, 35 injured during RXZ Members 8.0 event

Malaysia / 3w

Ayob Khan reminds policemen to uphold integrity, protect PDRM’s reputation

Malaysia / 1mth

Police looking for two robbery suspects who kicked elderly woman (video)

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Malaysia

Malaysia warns global firms over Israeli E1 settlement tender threatening Palestinian statehood

Malaysia

PH, BN weigh Melaka election pact as Amirudin moves to open talks with Anwar

Malaysia

PM Anwar receives royal honour from Brunei Sultan

Malaysia

Nearly 100,000 scam posts removed as Govt steps up online fraud fight

Malaysia

Burnt Qurans found near Senawang football field, police investigate

Malaysia

Anwar vows stronger Federal ties with Sabah, Sarawak ahead of MA63 talks

Malaysia

Modified Toyota Camry lands woman in hot water over alleged subsidised petrol diversion

Malaysia

Three jewellery shop robberies in five days sparks concern