Malaysia

Bersatu not invited to Perak palace

It also did not seek audience with ruler, says Datuk Seri Ahmad Faizal Azumu

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 08 Dec 2020 5:36PM

Bersatu not invited to Perak palace
Perak Bersatu chairman Datuk Seri Ahmad Faizal Azumu says the party did not receive an official invitation from the state palace for an audience with Sultan Nazrin Muizzuddin Shah. – SAIRIEN NAFIS/The Vibes, December 8, 2020

IPOH – Perak Bersatu has yet to seek an audience with Sultan Nazrin Muizzuddin Shah, nor was it invited to Istana Kinta today, said its chairman Datuk Seri Ahmad Faizal Azumu.

“Perak Bersatu wants to clarify that we have not sought an audience with the Sultan of Perak, Sultan Nazrin Muizzuddin Shah, in connection with the appointment of the next menteri besar of Perak.

"We would also like to inform we did not receive an official invitation from the state palace for an audience with the sultan, as had been reported by the media,” Faizal said in a statement today.

Earlier today, The Vibes reported that Titi Serong assemblyman Hasnul Zulkarnain Abdul Munaim of Bersatu had an audience with Sultan Nazrin.

However, Dewan Negara Perak member Datuk Seri Mohd Annuar Zaini said it was unclear what was discussed.

Earlier, Pakatan Harapan state leaders – DAP’s Nga Kor Ming, Amanah’s Asmuni Awi and PKR’s Farhash Wafa Salvador Rizal Mubarak – had been granted an audience with Sultan Nazrin, where they briefed him of their own negotiations.

This morning, Umno president Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi had announced that his party’s menteri besar candidate had more than the simple majority needed to form a state government.

However, PAS state commissioner Razman Zakaria reportedly told Free Malaysia Today that he did not receive the green light from the party’s central leadership to endorse an Umno-led administration.

PAS reps were originally slated to have an audience with Sultan Nazrin at 3pm but requested to withdraw their audience at the behest of the Islamist party’s central leadership.

The Perak government had collapsed on Friday after then menteri besar Faizal lost a confidence vote with 48 against, 10 in support and one damaged or abstained.

Faizal tendered his resignation to the sultan on Saturday, which automatically dissolved the state executive committee. – The Vibes, December 8, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 2w

Bersatu still a PN coalition member - Samsuri

Malaysia / 3w

PRNNS: Amanah, Bersatu draw blanks in Negeri Sembilan as incumbents fall

Malaysia / 3w

No landslide expected as Negeri battle goes down to the wire

Opinion / 3w

An open letter to voters of Negeri Sembilan

Malaysia / 3w

Rais Yatim’s political journey: From Umno rising star to royal controversy

Malaysia / 3w

Witness: 'I borrowed RM19.5 million from family-linked firms for Bersatu contribution'

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Malaysia

Anwar approves additional RM1 million for Hindu crematorium in Seberang Prai

Malaysia

Teen found dead after disappearing during tahfiz programme in Negeri Sembilan

Malaysia

MACC studying petroleum cargo issue, says source

Malaysia

Child safety a priority in facing the increasingly worrying haze threat

Malaysia

Billionaire numbers reach record high as wealth remains concentrated

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

Malaysia

UIAM clarifies Dr Solehah Yaacob no longer with university

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Nearly 100,000 scam posts removed as Govt steps up online fraud fight