World

Toronto ‘incel’ van attack not due to ASD: prosecutor

Prosecutor says attacker cannot claim criminal irresponsibility

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 19 Dec 2020 7:00PM

Toronto ‘incel’ van attack not due to ASD: prosecutor
10 people – eight of which were women – were killed in the April 2018 Toronto van attack, which also injured 16 more. The attacker’s defence had claimed that his misogyny was due to his mental state of mind, but prosecutors argue otherwise. – AFP pic, December 19, 2020

TORONTO – A Canadian man inspired by the misogynist “incel” movement to kill 10 people by ploughing a van into pedestrians in Toronto was aware of his actions and cannot claim criminal irresponsibility, prosecutors said.

Alek Minassian had pleaded “not criminally responsible” due to his autism spectrum disorder (ASD) at the start of his trial last month for the April 2018 attack that killed eight women and two men and injured 16 others.

“This is about a person who committed mass murder who happened to have ASD, not that the ASD made him commit murders,” Crown attorney Joe Callaghan told the court in Toronto yesterday. 

“He always had an understanding, an awareness – more than awareness – that from society’s perspective, his choice to kill was wrong.”

Minassian faces 10 charges of premeditated murder and 16 of attempted murder following the rampage where he drove a rented van at high speeds along 2km of roads and sidewalks, indiscriminately targeting passers-by.

Just prior to the attack, he posted on Facebook: “The incel rebellion has already begun,” and referenced American mass killer Elliot Rodger who committed a similar attack in California.

During interrogation, he described the anger he felt toward women and said this had motivated the attack.

He said he had joined an online community of like-minded men who described themselves as “incels” or “involuntary celibates,” whose sexual frustrations led them to embrace a misogynist ideology.

Since he has already admitted to planning and carrying out the carnage, the trial will focus on Minassian’s state of mind and criminal responsibility at the time of the attack, not whether he was the perpetrator.

His defence has argued that his mental state left him devoid of empathy, unable to discern right from wrong and incapable of making rational choices. – AFP, December 19, 2020

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline