World

England, Italy brace for Christmas lockdowns as Europe battles virus surge

Infectious new strain forces rollback of relaxed measures

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 20 Dec 2020 5:00PM

England, Italy brace for Christmas lockdowns as Europe battles virus surge
Italy has announced a new regime of restrictions until January 6 that includes limits on people leaving their homes more than once a day, closing non-essential shops, bars and restaurants and curbs on regional travel. – AFP pic, December 20, 2020

LONDON – Millions of people in England and Italy will celebrate Christmas under tough new coronavirus restrictions as Europe battles a winter surge including a more infectious new strain.

Europe has become the first region in the world to pass 500,000 deaths from Covid-19 since the pandemic broke out a year ago, killing more than 1.6 million worldwide and pitching the global economy into turmoil.

In England, where a lockdown-weary population had been looking forward to a temporary five-day relaxation of virus restrictions over the festive period, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson instead announced a new “stay at home” order for London and southeast England – an area including around a third of the country's population.

The move follows alarm at the speed at which the virus was spreading and a new strain that Johnson said was “up to 70% more transmissible”.

“It is with a very heavy heart I must tell you we cannot continue with Christmas as planned,” he told the nation in a televised briefing yesterday.

“Alas, when the facts change, you have to change your approach,” he said.

Residents in the affected areas will have to go into lockdown at least until December 30, Johnson said, tearing up earlier plans that would have allowed up to three households to mix.

Hours later the Netherlands banned all passenger flights from Britain after finding the first case of the new, more infectious virus strain circulating in the UK.

The ban is in effect from 0500 GMT today until January 1.

The Netherlands is under a five-week lockdown until mid-January with schools and all non-essential shops closed to slow a surge in the virus.

Italy also announced a new regime of restrictions until January 6 that included limits on people leaving their homes more than once a day, closing non-essential shops, bars and restaurants and curbs on regional travel.

“It’s right that they prohibit departures after December 20 if it means travelling in safety,” Claudia Patrone, a 33-year-old lawyer, said as she got off a train in Milan. 

“I took the test before leaving, I stayed locked in my house, I didn’t see anyone. The measure is right if everyone respects the rules and guarantees safety.” – AFP, December 20, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

Thomas Cup 2026: Malaysia defeat England 3-2

Sports & Fitness / 5mth

Japan seen as main obstacle to the country in Thomas, Uber Cups

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

Malaysia / 1y

MOH closely monitoring Covid-19 amid rising cases in neighbouring countries

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons