World

US suspends some efforts to counter Russian sabotage as Trump moves closer to Putin

Trump's embrace of Moscow stirs fears of Ukraine truce favorable to Russia among current, former officials

Updated 1 year ago · Published on 19 Mar 2025 5:22PM

US suspends some efforts to counter Russian sabotage as Trump moves closer to Putin
Under Trump, NSC has stopped holding regular meetings with European officials on Russian sabotage, sources say – March 19, 2025

SEVERAL US national security agencies have halted work on a coordinated effort to counter Russian sabotage, disinformation and cyberattacks, easing pressure on Moscow as the Trump Administration pushes Russia to end its war in Ukraine.

Former President Joe Biden last year ordered his national security team to establish working groups to monitor the issue amid warnings from U.S. intelligence that Russia was escalating a shadow war against Western nations.

The plan was led by the president's National Security Council (NSC) and involved at least seven national security agencies working with European allies to disrupt plots targeting Europe and the United States, seven former officials who participated in the working groups told Reuters.

Before President Donald Trump was inaugurated, his incoming administration was briefed by Biden officials about the efforts and urged to continue monitoring Russia's hybrid warfare campaign, the former U.S. officials said.

However, since Trump took office on Jan. 20 much of the work has come to a standstill, according to eleven current and former officials, all of whom requested anonymity to discuss classified matters.

Reuters is the first to report on the full extent of the Biden administration effort and how multiple different U.S. agencies have since paused their work on the issue.

Regular meetings between the National Security Council (NSC) and European national security officials have gone unscheduled, and the NSC has also stopped formally coordinating efforts across U.S. agencies, including with the FBI, the Department of Homeland Security and the State Department, the current and former officials said. – March 19, 2025

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren