World

United Nations reports 61 attacks in Myanmar following devastating earthquake

A big reason for cuts in communication lines is because of the earthquake and the military cutting means of communications

Updated 1 year ago · Published on 05 Apr 2025 10:54AM

United Nations reports 61 attacks in Myanmar following devastating earthquake
UN Human Rights Officials says 16 of these attacks took place after the ceasefire declared on April 2 – April 5, 2025

UN Human Rights Officials says 16 of these attacks took place after the ceasefire declared on April 2 – April 5, 2025

United Nations Reports 61 Attacks in Myanmar Following Devastating Earthquake

A big reason for cuts in communication lines is because of the earthquake and the military cutting means of communications

IN the week following the deadly 7.7-magnitude earthquake that struck Myanmar, the United Nations (UN) has reported over 60 attacks across the country.

The conflict has exacerbated the already dire situation, with urgent calls for humanitarian access to affected communities.

Speaking at a press conference on Friday (April 4), James Rodehaver of the UN Human Rights Office in Myanmar explained that a significant factor behind disruptions in communication lines was the earthquake itself, compounded by the military cutting off communication routes.

He stated, "A big reason for cuts in communication lines is because of the earthquake and the military cutting means of communications."

Rodehaver confirmed that 61 attacks had occurred since the earthquake, although the identities of those responsible were not specified.

He also highlighted reports of the military using hang gliders in attacks, which he suggested appeared "designed to cause distress or displace people."

Bernama-Anadolu cited Ravina Shamdasani from the UN Human Rights Office further noting 16 of these attacks took place after the ceasefire declared on April 2.

The ceasefire was agreed upon by Myanmar's ruling military and rebel groups, but Shamdasani’s comments underscore ongoing violence despite the temporary halt in hostilities.

The humanitarian crisis in Myanmar is growing increasingly severe. Babar Baloch of the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) revealed that around 19 million people in the country are in urgent need of assistance.

"The devastating earthquake and the massive needs it generated must push the parties to agree on a path forward to bring critical respite to communities severely weakened by long years of conflict and violence," said Regis Savioz, the ICRC’s regional director for Asia and the Pacific.

He also called for continued hostilities to be paused, emphasising that the short ceasefire announced by the military was a positive first step but would need to be extended to provide meaningful relief.

The earthquake, which struck Myanmar on April 2, has claimed the lives of more than 3,100 people and left thousands more injured. The military's declaration of a three-week ceasefire aimed to allow aid to reach those affected by the disaster, but the situation remains precarious.

Even before the earthquake, Myanmar was already facing significant challenges. Nearly 20 million people in the country were dependent on humanitarian aid due to ongoing conflict, and Savioz noted that, "as the search and rescue phase winds down and hope of finding survivors under the rubble fades, the humanitarian response to meet the growing needs of all affected communities must be urgently scaled up."

In regions such as Mandalay and Sagaing, many residents have been unable to return to their homes, with many being forced to sleep outdoors in unsafe conditions.

Compounding the issue, Savioz added that around 100 hospitals and healthcare facilities had been severely damaged by the earthquake, making them unsafe for use and further hindering efforts to provide medical assistance.

As Myanmar grapples with the aftermath of this devastating disaster, the UN and humanitarian organisations are calling for an expanded ceasefire and increased international support to address the immediate and long-term needs of the country’s population. – April 5, 2025

Myanmar , United Nations , 61 attacks , reported , deadly earthquake

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured