World

Absence of US rescuers ‘visible’ In the race to save lives after the Myanmar quake

In Myanmar after the most recent quake, the U.S. has distinguished itself for having no known presence on the ground beyond a three-member assessment team

Updated 1 year ago · Published on 05 Apr 2025 12:53PM

Absence of US rescuers ‘visible’ In the race to save lives after the Myanmar quake
A retreat from decades of American policy may be fueling the absence– April 5, 2025

DAY after day, Chinese rescue teams haul children and elderly people from collapsed buildings as cameras beam the thanks of grateful survivors around the world. Russian medical teams show off field hospitals erected in a flash to tend the wounded.

AP reported today, at least 15 Asian and Western government rescue teams have landed crews reaching hundreds of workers in size, alongside initial pledges of financial aid reaching tens of millions of dollars, as the death toll of the March 28 quake tops 3,000, Myanmar’s government says.

Cameras showed Vietnam’s team on arrival, marching square-shouldered to the rescue behind their country’s flag.

While Myanmar’s military junta and civil war have posed challenges, the U.S. government has worked with local partners there previously to successfully provide aid for decades, including after deadly storms in 2008 and 2023, aid officials say.

The American government dwarfs other nations’ rescue capacity in experience, capacity and heavy machinery able to pull people alive from rubble. But in Myanmar after the most recent quake, the U.S. has distinguished itself for having no known presence on the ground beyond a three-member assessment team sent days after the quake.

“We all worried what would be the human impact” of President Donald Trump’s dismantling of the six-decade-old U.S. Agency for International Development, said Lia Lindsey, a senior humanitarian policy adviser for Oxfam, which scrambled to provide tents, blankets and other aid to quake survivors.

Now, Lindsey said, “we’re seeing it in real time. We’re seeing it in increased suffering and increased death.”’

A retreat from decades of American policy may be fueling the absence.

The United States, the world’s largest economy, long saw its strategic interests and alliances served by its standing as the world’s top humanitarian donor. Myanmar’s quake is as close to a no-show as the nation has had in recent memory at a major, accessible natural disaster.

Current and former senior private and government officials say the Myanmar disaster points to some of the results — for people in need on the ground, and for U.S. standing in the world — of the Trump administration’s retreat from decades of U.S. policy.

That approach held that Washington needs both the hard power of a strong military and the soft power of a robust aid and development program to deter enemies, win and keep friends and steer events.

Secretary of State Marco Rubio, in Europe for a NATO gathering, rejected a suggestion that the administration was ceding influence abroad by canceling thousands of its aid and development contracts, including for disasters.

He told reporters that those complaining were the aid groups, which he accused of profiting off past U.S. aid.

“We will do the best we can,” Rubio said Friday. “But we also have other needs we have to balance that against. We’re not walking away.”

He pointed to “a lot of other rich countries in the world. They should all be pitching in and do their part.”

Leading Senate Democrats wrote Rubio this week, urging him to scale up U.S. disaster aid to Myanmar — and fast. Separately, Delaware Sen. Chris Coons, a Democratic member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, spoke of watching a news broadcast of the disaster showing Chinese government teams at work.

“It hurt my heart to see where, instead of a USAID ... team leading the response, there was a team from the PRC that was being celebrated for having saved some people in the rubble,” Coons said.

The 2 1/2-month-old Trump administration, through Elon Musk’s Department of Government Efficiency teams, has frozen USAID funding, terminated thousands of contracts and is firing all but a handful of its staff globally. It accuses the agency of waste and of advancing liberal causes.

The Myanmar quake is the first major natural disaster since that work started. – April 5, 2025

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces