World

Body of Miss Tourism Myanmar 2018 discovered under rubble of Mandalay quake

She was found trapped within the rubble after the Sky Villa condominium collapsed during the earthquake

Updated 1 year ago · Published on 05 Apr 2025 2:17PM

Body of Miss Tourism Myanmar 2018 discovered under rubble of Mandalay quake
Sky Villa – which was completed in 2017 –was one of the worst-hit buildings, despite being promoted for its “earthquake-resistant foundation” – April 5, 2025

THE body of Miss Tourism Myanmar 2018 was discovered beneath a 12-storey condominium in central Mandalay, following last week’s earthquake.

The beauty queen, Silimee, represented Myanmar at the Miss Tourism World 2018 competition.

Reuters reported that she was among the victims of the 7.7-magnitude earthquake that struck Mandalay on March 28.

Tremors were felt across neighbouring countries, including Thailand, Vietnam and parts of China.

She was found trapped within the rubble after the Sky Villa condominium collapsed during the earthquake, and was found dead by rescuers on April 2, according to a Facebook post by the Miss Tourism Myanmar organisation.

As reported by The New York Times, Sky Villa – which was completed in 2017 – was one of the worst-hit buildings, despite being promoted for its “earthquake-resistant foundation”. The complex was home to Mandalay’s largest rooftop bar and a state-of-the-art gym prior to its collapse.

Myanmar’s junta says the death toll has risen to more than 3,100, according to Reuters. – April 5, 2025

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt