World

"China desires deal amid growing tariff standoff," US President says

The trade standoff took a new turn on Monday, when China announced plans to impose a 34 per cent tariff on US imports, effective Thursday

Updated 1 year ago · Published on 09 Apr 2025 9:57AM

"China desires deal amid growing tariff standoff," US President says
US president awaits Chinese response as tensions rise over trade dispute – April 9, 2025

UNITED STATES President Donald Trump has asserted that China is eager to reach an agreement in the escalating trade dispute between the two nations, claiming that Beijing is unsure how to initiate talks.

In a post on his Truth Social platform on Tuesday, Trump stated, “China also wants to make a deal, badly, but they don’t know how to get it started.”

He added, “We are waiting for their call. It will happen!” suggesting that he remains confident the two sides will eventually open a dialogue, despite the heightened tensions over tariffs.

Bernama-dpa reported today that the trade standoff took a new turn on Monday, when China announced plans to impose a 34 per cent tariff on US imports, effective Thursday. This decision is a direct response to the US president’s announcement last week that a similar 34 per cent duty would be placed on Chinese goods.

In a defiant statement on Tuesday, the Chinese Ministry of Commerce made it clear that the country would not back down in the face of President Trump’s threats of further tariffs. The ministry vowed to take "resolute countermeasures" to safeguard its own rights and interests.

The statement added, “China will fight till the end if the US side is bent on going down the wrong path,” indicating that Beijing remains steadfast in its position, despite the increasing pressure from Washington.

The latest developments highlight the deepening trade war between the world’s two largest economies, with both sides preparing for further retaliatory measures if no resolution is reached.

China challenges us tariffs at WTO

Meanwhile, China has formally challenged the United States’ imposition of new tariffs on Chinese goods at the World Trade Organization (WTO), marking a significant escalation in the ongoing trade dispute. In a letter submitted on Tuesday, China stated that the 34 per cent tariffs, due to take effect on Wednesday, “seriously undermine the rules-based multilateral trading system.”

The Chinese government further described the US measures as “discriminatory and protectionist in nature” and called for bilateral talks to resolve the issue.

The complaint echoes a similar action taken earlier in the week by Canada, which also requested WTO consultations following the US’s imposition of 25 per cent tariffs on car imports.

The complaint by China marks the first formal step in the arbitration process at the WTO, which will involve a panel reviewing whether the US tariffs comply with international trade regulations.

However, the WTO is currently in a state of disruption, with the US blocking the appointment of new appeal judges for several years.

This leaves the organization in a precarious position, as no final decisions can be made if countries decide to appeal the rulings of WTO arbitrators.

The US’s ongoing refusal to pay its contributions to the WTO has further raised concerns, with speculation that President Donald Trump’s administration may be preparing to withdraw from the global trade body altogether.

In retaliation for the US tariffs, China has announced its own 34 per cent tariffs on American imports, prompting President Trump to threaten additional tariffs of up to 50 per cent should Beijing refuse to reverse its measures.

The growing trade tensions between the two economic giants continue to reverberate around the global economy, with the WTO playing a crucial, if uncertain, role in any potential resolution. – April 9, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt