World

Beijing bites back at US tariffs by curbing Hollywood film imports

Domestic films dominate China's box office, accounting for 80% of revenue

Updated 1 year ago · Published on 11 Apr 2025 8:01AM

Beijing bites back at US tariffs by curbing Hollywood film imports
Hollywood's share in China's box office drops to 5% - April, 11, 2025

CHINA said on Thursday it would immediately restrict imports of Hollywood films in retaliation for President Donald Trump's escalation of U.S. tariffs on imported Chinese goods, targeting one of the most high-profile American exports.

Reuters reported industry analysts saying the financial impact was likely to be minimal, however, because Hollywood's box office returns in China have declined significantly in recent years.

After three decades during which China imported 10 Hollywood movies per year, Beijing's National Film Administration said Trump's tariff actions would further sour domestic demand for U.S. cinema in China.

"We will follow market rules, respect the audience's choices, and moderately reduce the number of American films imported," the NFA said on its website.

Hollywood studios once looked to China, the world's second-largest film market, to help boost box office performance of movies. But domestic movies increasingly have outperformed Hollywood’s fare in China, with "Ne Zha 2" this year eclipsing Pixar's "Inside Out 2" to become the highest-grossing animated film of all time.

Chris Fenton, author of "Feeding the Dragon: Inside the Trillion Dollar Dilemma Facing Hollywood, the NBA, and American Business," said limiting U.S.-made films was a "super high-profile way to make a statement of retaliation with almost zero downside for China."

Hollywood films account for only 5% of overall box office receipts in China's market. And Hollywood studios receive only 25% of ticket sales in China, compared with double that in other markets, Fenton said.

"Such a high-profile punishment of Hollywood is an all-win motion of strength by Beijing that will surely be noticed by Washington," Fenton added.

Trump did not jump to Hollywood's defense. "I think I've heard of worse things," the president said when asked about China's restrictions.

Many Hollywood celebrities supported Trump's Democratic opponent in last year's election.

One entertainment industry source predicted that big Hollywood blockbusters, which continue to attract moviegoers in China, may still reach the big screen. Walt Disney's Marvel superhero movie "Thunderbolts," which kicks off the summer blockbuster season, recently received permission to debut in China on April 30.

It was not clear if China would approve the entry of other major releases this summer, such as Paramount's "Mission Impossible — The Final Reckoning," which may mark Tom Cruise's last appearance in the long-running franchise, Warner Bros' new "Superman" movie from "Guardians of the Galaxy" filmmaker James Gunn, and Marvel’s new take on "The Fantastic Four."

Limited Impact

IMAX said it expects the slate for its large-format screens, which includes Hollywood, Chinese and international films, would not be materially impacted by the restrictions.

"We continue to expect a strong year for IMAX in China, coming off our highest-grossing first quarter ever in the country," an IMAX spokesperson said in a statement to Reuters.

Seth Shafer, principal analyst at S&P Global Market Intelligence Kagan, predicted the restrictions would have limited impact.

"Only roughly 25% of domestic wide-release films are now released in China and that percentage has dropped steadily over time due to increasing competition from China’s local film production industry," Shafer said. "For domestic films that do get a release in China, typically less than 10% of the film’s global gross box office revenue comes from China."

"Captain America: Brave New World", a Marvel film released in February, took in US$14.4 million in China out of its US$413 million in global receipts.

In the past, imports including "Titanic" and "Avatar" became box office smashes in the Chinese market, making actors such as Leonardo DiCaprio and directors such as James Cameron household names among Chinese film lovers across generations.

Since 2020, Chinese-made films have consistently accounted for around 80% of annual box office revenue, up from around 60% previously.

On China's all-time box office list, only one imported film ranks in the top 20 - "Avengers: Endgame," with revenue of 4.25 billion yuan (US$579.83 million). The remaining films in the top 20 are all domestic productions. – April 11, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt