World

Death toll in Dominican Republic nightclub tragedy tops 200 as burials begin

Emergency teams pulled nearly 200 survivors from the building on Tuesday. Rescue workers were not expecting to find more on Thursday.

Updated 1 year ago · Published on 11 Apr 2025 8:29AM

Death toll in Dominican Republic nightclub tragedy tops 200 as burials begin
Recovery efforts set to wrap up as families mourn the dead – April 11, 2025

A ROOF collapse at a concert in a popular nightclub in the capital of the Dominican Republic has killed at least 221 people, authorities said on Thursday, with recovery efforts set to wrap up as families mourn the dead.

Reuters reported that politicians, athletes and other prominent local figures had gathered at the Jet Set club in Santo Domingo earlier this week for a concert by merengue singer Rubby Perez.

Emergency crews were on site sorting through the rubble with heavy machinery early on Thursday, on what Juan Manuel Mendez, head of the country's emergency operations center (COE), said would be the last day of rescue and recovery efforts.

"This is the hardest task I've had in my 20 years of leading the COE," Mendez said, breaking down in tears.

Emergency teams pulled nearly 200 survivors from the building on Tuesday. Rescue workers were not expecting to find more on Thursday.

"Rescuers have practically finished sweeping ground zero. There's just a small area left to look over," Mendez said.

Still, families of those missing waited outside the wreckage of the club, embracing each other.

Perez, the singer, was among those killed in the crush.

President Luis Abinader attended his funeral on Thursday, with a public memorial service for him set to follow later in the day.

Pitcher Octavio Dotel and slugger Tony Blanco, both former Major League Baseball players, were also killed.

The government said late on Wednesday that, once recovery efforts wrapped up, they would launch an investigation into the cause of the roof collapse. – April11, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren