World

Kashmir killings shatter Modi's tourism success in troubled region

Airlines deploy additional flights for returnees as businesses report mass cancellations at start of peak season

Updated 1 year ago · Published on 23 Apr 2025 6:29PM

Kashmir killings shatter Modi's tourism success in troubled region
Attack prompts tourists to flee Kashmir in mass - April 23, 2025

IMAGES and videos of gunshots ringing out in a meadow, bloodied bodies lying on the ground, and people fleeing across a dry river bed have shattered Kashmir's emergence as India's new tourism hotspot.

Reuters reported the region's strikingly beautiful mountains, valleys and grand Mughal-era gardens had drawn record tourist arrivals stemming from five years of relative safety. Supporters of Prime Minister Narendra Modi had touted the tourism boom as among his signature achievements.

But Tuesday's attack by suspected militants who killed at least 26 tourists and wounded many more in Kashmir's scenic Pahalgam area, known for its glowing Himalayan peaks and fast-flowing streams, has left panicked tourists seeking an early exit at the start of the busy summer season.

Modi, whose decision to strip Muslim-majority Kashmir's partial autonomy in 2019 after decades of anti-India violence led to widespread protests, and his finance minister both cut short separate overseas trips after vowing justice.

He took a meeting of his top lieutenants at the airport itself upon return. Kashmir is divided between India and Pakistan, which both claim fully, and had been plagued by years of insurgent violence.

Locals have called for a one-day protest against the deadliest such attack in Kashmir in decades, tourist operators are reporting massive cancellations, and airlines are running additional return flights from Kashmir's main city of Srinagar.

Tourism is the backbone of the Kashmir valley's economy, and has been promoted heavily by the government and Indian airlines.

Arrivals hit a record high of more than 3 million last year, from fewer than 831,000 in 2018, as India's widening middle class splurged on travel post-COVID, government data showed.

But some Kashmir hardliners have derided the influx as a cultural invasion by visitors from the rest of mostly Hindu India.

Chart shows the number of tourists visiting Kashmir region annually between 2015 and 2024. There was as surge in the footfall in the past three years, peaking at 3.5 million in 2024.

Chart shows the number of tourists visiting Kashmir region annually between 2015 and 2024. There was as surge in the footfall in the past three years, peaking at 3.5 million in 2024.

"We have a history of hospitality, but some cowardly terrorists want to destroy it all," Sajjad Lone, a local lawmaker and chief of the Jammu and Kashmir People’s Conference party, told reporters.

Reuters sources - all current or former executives - said the firm is having a rethink after a series of strategic stumbles.

"People involved in tourism have, after a long time, begun to restart their lives. They had begun to dream. Make no mistake, these terror attacks are aimed at yet again disempowering us economically."

A little-known militant group, the "Kashmir Resistance," claimed responsibility for the attack in a social media message. It said more than 85,000 "outsiders" had been settled in the region after arriving as tourists, vowing violence against such settlers. Civilian casualties, however, have fallen significantly in the past two decades, data shows.

Tourist operators, taxi drivers, and other people involved in the industry condemned the attack and rued lost business at the start of the summer rush. The attack is also a big blow to Modi's attempts to draw foreign investments into the area.

As desperate tourists tried to flee Kashmir, flight tickets briefly rose sharply before the government met with airline operators and "issued a strong advisory against surge pricing".

"In the aftermath of the incident in Pahalgam, there is an unexpected demand from tourists seeking to return to their homes," the Ministry of Civil Aviation said in an advisory to all airlines. "Airlines are advised to take swift action to increase the number of flights." - April 23, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month