World

German man gets life in prison for deadly anti-Semitic rampage

Defendant shot two dead after failure to enter synagogue on Yom Kippur last year

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 21 Dec 2020 10:30PM

German man gets life in prison for deadly anti-Semitic rampage
The verdict makes it clear that there will be no tolerance for the homicidal hatred of Jews,’ says Josef Schuster, head of Germany’s Central Council of Jews. – World Jewish Congress pic, December

MAGDEBURG – A German court on Monday handed a life sentence to a neo-Nazi behind a deadly attack last year that nearly became the country’s worst anti-Semitic atrocity since World War II.

A bolted door at the synagogue in the eastern city of Halle with 52 worshippers inside marking Yom Kippur, the holiest day of the Jewish year, was the only thing that prevented the heavily armed attacker from carrying out a planned bloodbath.

After failing to storm the temple on October 9 last year, Stephan Balliet, 28, shot dead a female passer-by and a man at a kebab shop.

“Without that famous reinforced door, he would have committed a massacre,” presiding judge Ursula Mertens said as she read out the verdict.

Balliet, his head shaved and dressed in black, listened with a blank expression.

During his five-month trial, Balliet denied the Holocaust in open court – a crime in Germany – and expressed no remorse to those targeted, many of whom were co-plaintiffs in the case.

He was convicted of two counts of murder and multiple counts of attempted murder in a case that deeply rattled the country and fuelled fears about rising right-wing extremism and anti-Jewish violence, 75 years after the end of the Nazi era.

The head of Germany’s Central Council of Jews, Josef Schuster, welcomed the sentence.

“This is an important day for Germany,” he said in a statement. “The verdict makes it clear that there will be no tolerance for the homicidal hatred of Jews.”

A lawyer for nine of the co-plaintiffs, Mark Lupschitz, told AFP he was “relieved” by the verdict and called the proceedings both “stressful and empowering” for the intended victims.

A government spokesman, Ulrike Demmer, told reporters that the Halle attack “showed us how important it is to even more decisively continue the fight against anti-Semitism, xenophobia and hostility to democracy”.

During the trial, Balliet insisted that “attacking the synagogue was not a mistake, they are my enemies”.

Dressed in military garb, he filmed the attack and broadcast it on the internet, prefacing it with a manifesto espousing his misogynist, neo-fascist ideology.

The attack bore some of the hallmarks of two carried out and similarly live-streamed some months earlier in Christchurch, New Zealand, by Brenton Tarrant, who killed 51 people. Balliet cited Tarrant as an inspiration.

Israel’s ambassador to Germany, Jeremy Issacharoff, said the assault remained “a very, very alarming moment in German history”.

“If that guy would have been able to get into a synagogue... it would have had a tremendous impact on German identity after the war and the fight against anti-Semitism,” he told AFP in an interview.

Hatred of Jews is “a phenomenon that attacks the very democratic essence of Germany and I think that is the thing that is so important to protect”, he said.

A few dozen demonstrators against right-wing extremism gathered outside the courthouse before the verdict was pronounced, unfurling a large black banner that read “We remember the victims of the attack of October 9, 2019”.

Prosecutor Kai Lohse said during the trial that Balliet had acted on the basis of a “racist, xenophobic and anti-Semitic ideology” to carry out an attack against not only those he killed, but “Jewish life in Germany as a whole”.

Baillet “described the fatal shots fired at his two victims in Halle without emotion” and appeared disappointed that he had failed in his attempt to enter the synagogue, psychiatrist Norbert Leygraf said in an evaluation of the defendant.

He said Balliet suffered from symptoms of schizophrenia, paranoia and autism, preventing him from having “empathy with others” while feeling “superior to others”.

Crimes targeting Jews and their belief have risen steadily in Germany in recent years, with 2,032 offences recorded in 2019, up 13% from the previous year.

Meanwhile, a string of far-right terrorist attacks have shocked Germany, including the assassination of pro-refugee politician Walter Luebcke at his home in June last year and the February murder of nine migrant-origin people in the western city of Hanau. – AFP, December 21, 2020

Related News

Culture & Lifestyle / 1y

Malaysian quartet drive VWs in road trip to Germany

Business / 2y

Malaysia secures RM46 billion potential investments from trade and investment mission to Germany, France

Malaysia / 2y

PM Anwar credits public services teamwork for Germany visit's remarkable success

Malaysia / 2y

Anwar touts RM45.4 bil in potential investment during Germany trip

Malaysia / 2y

Malaysia and Germany call for lasting ceasefire in Gaza

Malaysia / 2y

Israel-Palestine: PM Anwar urges Germany to use influence to press for ceasefire

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline