World

Trump signals China initiated planned trade meeting; Washington eyes stroller exemptions

Trump says won't cut tariffs on Chinese goods to secure negotiations as huge damage to both economies seen if tariffs persist

Updated 1 year ago · Published on 08 May 2025 8:44AM

Trump signals China initiated planned trade meeting; Washington eyes stroller exemptions
US, China tariffs now well above 100% - May 8, 2025

U.S. PRESIDENT Donald Trump on Wednesday suggested China initiated upcoming senior-level trade talks between the two countries and said he was not willing to cut U.S. tariffs on Chinese goods to get Beijing to the negotiating table.

Reuters reported the U.S. announced on Tuesday that Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent and U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer will meet with China's top economic official on Saturday in Switzerland, marking an initial step in potential negotiations over a blistering trade war that is disrupting the global economy.

The development was welcomed in financial markets that have been battered by Trump's often-chaotic rollout of his tariff policies, with Wall Street snapping a two-day losing streak.

Prior to Tuesday's announcement, it was far from clear when - or even if - the world's No. 1 and No. 2 economies would engage to defuse the standoff.

Beijing had adopted fiery rhetoric as tensions with Washington ratcheted up, repeatedly saying it would not engage in negotiations unless the U.S. withdrew its tariffs. Its Commerce Ministry had suggested it was the U.S. side that had signaled a desire to hold talks.

"They said we initiated? Well, I think they ought to go back and study their files," Trump said in response to a reporter's question at a White House event where his ambassador to China, David Perdue, was sworn into office.

Asked if he was willing to reduce tariffs to get China to negotiate, Trump said: "No."

"We were losing with China, on trade, a trillion dollars a year - more, actually," Trump said. "You know what we're losing now? Nothing. That's not bad."

The planned talks come after weeks of escalating tensions that have seen duties on goods imports between the world's two largest economies soar well beyond 100%, amounting to what Bessent on Tuesday called the equivalent of a trade embargo.

The impasse, compounded by Trump's decision last month to slap sweeping duties on dozens of other countries, has upended supply chains, roiled financial markets and stoked fears of a sharp downturn in global growth.

Bessent said after the meeting announcement that the talks were about "de-escalation."

Jake Colvin, head of the National Foreign Trade Council, said the current tariffs were untenable and could cause huge damage to both economies if they persisted for months or years.

“I would take it as a positive sign that they're talking, which appears to be the latest step in a series of de-escalatory moves," he said.

Craig Singleton at the Foundation for the Defense of Democracies said it was notable that China agreed to talks without any U.S. concessions.

“The Trump administration did not lift tariffs, pause enforcement actions, or even promise a negotiating roadmap — and yet China agreed to send Xi’s top economic czar, Vice Premier He Lifeng," he said. "It’s acknowledgment that the tariffs are having their intended effect.”

Exemptions And Retaliation

But U.S. officials were also feeling the pressure, including growing public concerns about shortages and rising prices.

Testifying before the House Financial Services Committee, Bessent said the Trump administration is considering exempting car seats, baby strollers, cribs other essential items for transporting children from the 145% tariffs in place on China.

China has also approved some exemptions from its 125% tariffs on U.S. goods.

However, Trump sent mixed signals later, telling reporters he would look at specific industry requests for exemptions, but preferred to keep the duties broader and less complicated.

In 2018, the Trump administration exempted some products produced in China from 25% tariffs, including bicycle helmets and child-safety furniture such as car seats and playpens. However, car seat component parts, cribs, bassinets, diaper bags and wooden safety gates were not exempted.

In Singapore, the European Commission's trade commissioner, Maros Sefcovic, said the bloc would announce on Thursday details of its next countermeasures against U.S. tariffs, if negotiations - not yet begun - ultimately failed. - May 8, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations