World

UN agencies warn that Israel’s plans for aid distribution will endanger lives in Gaza

U.N. rejects a new system, saying it “weaponises aid,” threatens to cause mass displacement of Palestinians, violates principles of neutrality and won’t be able to provide the scale of aid needed

Updated 1 year ago · Published on 13 May 2025 4:35PM

UN agencies warn that Israel’s plans for aid distribution will endanger lives in Gaza
In what has become a daily scene of desperation in Gaza, thousands of Palestinians crowded a charity kitchen in the southern city of Khan Younis - May 13, 2025

INTERNATIONAL aid agencies warned Friday that Israeli plans to control aid distribution in Gaza, including a U.S.-backed proposal, will only increase suffering and death in the devastated Palestinian territory, calling on Israel to lift its blockade on food and other supplies, now in its third month.

AP reported today that the U.S. ambassador to Israel, Mike Huckabee, said the new U.S.-devised aid system would be launched soon, urging the U.N. and other aid groups to participate. So far, the U.N. has rejected the new system, saying it “weaponizes aid,” threatens to cause mass displacement of Palestinians, violates principles of neutrality and simply won’t be able to provide the scale of aid needed.

In what has become a daily scene of desperation in Gaza, thousands of Palestinians crowded a charity kitchen in the southern city of Khan Younis, jostling and waving their pots to receive scoops of pasta. Such kitchens are virtually the only source of food left for the territory’s 2.3 million people, but dozens have shut down in recent days as food supplies run out under Israel’s blockade. Aid groups say more closures are imminent.

Raed al-Zaharna and his children walked away emptyhanded after the day’s meals ran out. “I’m thinking now, ‘What will I feed them?’ I can’t find anything,” he said.

Israel has blocked food, medicine, fuel and other supplies from entering Gaza since March 2, saying it’s trying to pressure Hamas into releasing hostages and disarming. It also shattered a ceasefire deal with Hamas, relaunching bombardment across Gaza and seizing large swaths of the territory. Rights groups have called the blockade a “starvation tactic” and a potential war crime.

Israel has said it won’t resume aid until it installs a new distribution mechanism, replacing the massive operation led by the U.N. and independent relief groups throughout the 19-month-old war. Israel accuses Hamas and other militants of siphoning off aid, though it hasn’t presented evidence for its claims. The U.N. denies significant diversion takes place, saying it monitors distribution.

“Humanitarian aid should never be used as a bargaining chip,” UNICEF spokesperson James Elder said in Geneva. “There is a simple alternative. Lift the blockade, let humanitarian aid in, save lives.”

U.S. says a new system is coming

Huckabee said details of the new U.S.-backed system would be announced in the coming days, with deliveries set to begin “very soon,” though he gave no time frame.

He depicted it as independent from Israel, which he said wouldn’t be involved in distribution. He said private companies would provide security, while Israel’s military would secure the perimeters from afar. He echoed Israel’s claims that it was necessary because Hamas was stealing aid.

“I will be the first to admit it will not be perfect, especially in the early days,” Huckabee said.

A new group supported by the U.S., called the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation, or GHF, has proposed implementing an aid distribution project along the lines of Israel’s demands, according to documents obtained by The Associated Press. The group is made up of American security contractors, former government officials, ex-military officers and humanitarian officials.

In its proposal, GHF said that it would initially set up four distribution sites, guarded by private security firms. Each would serve 300,000 people, covering only about half of Gaza’s population. Huckabee said that the system will be scaled up “as soon as it is possible.”

Aryeh Lightstone, a senior member of U.S. special envoy Steve Witkoff’s team, was involved in briefing U.N. agencies and aid groups about the foundation in Geneva on Thursday, according to one person who attended, Joseph Belliveau, executive director of Medglobal, a medical humanitarian group operating in Gaza. He said that he and other attendees pressed back saying the new model shouldn’t replace the current, independent and neutral system led by the U.N.

Belliveau said that aid groups had been working for years “with strict due diligence processes ... in a way that avoids diversion” of aid.

“What we need is to be just allowed (to work). We need that blockade lifted,” he said.

The U.N. has rejected Israeli plans to control aid

Israel has given no details publicly about the new aid mechanism. The U.N. says that what Israel has outlined to it so far in private discussions violates humanitarian principles.

“As the Secretary-General has made clear, the U.N. will not engage in any arrangement that fails to uphold the humanitarian principles: humanity, impartiality, independence and neutrality,” the agency’s emergency aid office said in a statement Friday.

Elder, of UNICEF, said that the plan as presented in the GHF document appears “designed to reinforce control over life-sustaining items as a pressure tactic.”

Aid workers say Palestinians would be forced to move to the distribution hubs or walk for miles to reach them, triggering a forced displacement depopulating large parts of Gaza. Though hub locations haven’t been set, aid workers say that according to briefings they received, it appears none will be located in northern Gaza, where hundreds of thousands of Palestinians are located.

Throughout the war, Israel has repeatedly called for Palestinians to leave the north, including Gaza City, saying it’s for their safety as troops battle Hamas militants.

Elder said that the plan would entrench forced displacement “for political and military purposes.” The most vulnerable, including children, older people and those suffering from illness, may not be able to get to the hubs, he said.

In a statement last month, 20 aid groups operating in Gaza said the plan would force Palestinians into “de facto internment conditions” in pockets around the hubs.

Israel has also told U.N. officials it wants to vet aid recipients, aid workers say, raising fears it could withhold aid from some for political or military reasons, though the GHF proposal says aid would be distributed according to need.

Elder also warned civilians will be endangered as they seek aid in militarized areas.

“More children are likely to suffer and risk death and injury as a consequence of this plan,” Elder said.

Aid officials say the new system also simply won’t provide enough aid. Relief groups have operated hundreds of distribution points around Gaza distributing food, water, shelter supplies and other goods, even as they support medical centers, run shelters and implement other programs.

The operation has been led by UNRWA, the main U.N. agency for Palestinian refugees. Israel banned the agency last year, alleging its staff have been infiltrated by Hamas. UNRWA, which employs more than 10,000 people in Gaza, said that it acts quickly to remove anyone suspected of militant ties, and that Israel hasn’t given it evidence of its claims. - May 13, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren