World

Ukraine calls on allies to keep pressure on Russia after talks yield no ceasefire

Agreement reached to exchange 1,000 prisoners of war each while Kyiv demands immediate ceasefire, Moscow wants more talks first

Updated 1 year ago · Published on 17 May 2025 7:47AM

Ukraine calls on allies to keep pressure on Russia after talks yield no ceasefire
Zelenskiy says robust sanctions should follow if Russia rejected a ceasefire - May 17, 2025

UKRAINE rallied support from its Western allies on Friday after Kyiv and Moscow failed to agree to a ceasefire at their first direct talks in more than three years, with Russia presenting conditions that a Ukrainian source described as "non-starters".

Reuters reported that under pressure from U.S. President Donald Trump to end the bloodiest conflict in Europe since World War Two, delegates from the warring countries met for the first time since March 2022, the month after Russia invaded its neighbour.

The talks in an Istanbul palace lasted well under two hours. Russia expressed satisfaction with the meeting and said it was ready to continue contacts. Both countries said they had agreed to trade 1,000 prisoners of war each in what would be the biggest such exchange yet.

But Kyiv, which wants the West to impose tighter sanctions unless Moscow accepts a proposal from Trump for a 30-day ceasefire, immediately began rallying its allies for tougher action.

As soon as the talks ended, Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelenskiy held a phone call with Trump and the leaders of France, Germany and Poland, his spokesperson said.

Zelenskiy said robust sanctions should follow if Russia rejected a ceasefire.

Russia's demands were "detached from reality and go far beyond anything that was previously discussed," a source in the Ukrainian delegation told Reuters.

The source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Moscow had issued ultimatums for Ukraine to withdraw from parts of its own territory in order to obtain a ceasefire "and other non-starters and non-constructive conditions".

British Prime Minister Keir Starmer said the Russian position was "clearly unacceptable" and that European leaders, Ukraine and the U.S. were "closely aligning" their responses.

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said the EU was working on a new package of sanctions against Moscow.

Russia's lead negotiator, Vladimir Medinsky, told reporters his team had "taken note" of the Ukrainians' request for direct talks between Zelenskiy and President Vladimir Putin. Putin, after proposing the direct talks, had spurned a challenge from the Ukrainian leader to meet him personally in Istanbul.

"We have agreed that each side will present its vision of a possible future ceasefire and spell it out in detail. After such a vision has been presented, we believe it would be appropriate, as also agreed, to continue our negotiations," Medinsky said.

Crediting efforts by Trump and other U.S. officials, Kirill Dmitriev, Putin's investment envoy, said on X the talks produced "good results...1. Largest POW exchange, 2. Ceasefire options that may work 3. Understanding of positions and continued dialogue."

Russia Wants More Talks Before Ceasefire

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha wrote on X that he and EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas agreed that "pressure on Moscow must be strengthened to achieve a full and durable ceasefire".

Writing separately on Facebook, Sybiha said the talks were positive if only for the prospect of prisoners coming home.

Zelenskiy said Kyiv's top priority was "a full, unconditional and honest ceasefire... to stop the killing and create a solid basis for diplomacy".

The sides mostly repeated known positions. The Ukrainians wanted an immediate ceasefire and talks to ensue, while the Russians demanded more talks before agreeing on a ceasefire.

Expectations for a breakthrough, already low, were dented on Thursday when Trump, winding up a Middle East tour, said there would be no movement until he and Putin met.

Russia says it wants to end the war by diplomatic means and is ready to discuss a ceasefire. But it has raised questions and concerns, saying Ukraine could use a pause to rest its forces, mobilise troops and acquire more Western weapons.

Ukraine and its allies accuse Putin of stalling, and say he is not serious about wanting peace.

The negotiating teams sat opposite one another on at a U-shaped table, with the Russians dressed in suits while half of the Ukrainians wore military fatigues.

A Turkish official said afterwards the atmosphere had been calm. No concrete timetable or location was agreed for the next talks, the official said, with both sides needing to debrief their leaders first.

The Ukrainian source said the Ukrainians spoke in their own language, through an interpreter, although Russian is widely spoken in Ukraine.

A Ukrainian and a European source said Russia rejected a Ukrainian request for U.S. representatives to be in the room.

Two sources familiar with the talks said Medinsky said Russia was ready to keep fighting for as long as necessary, drawing a parallel with the wars of Tsar Peter the Great against Sweden that lasted 21 years in the early 1700s.

"We do not want war, but we are ready to fight for a year, two, three — as long as you want," one of the sources quoted him as saying.

Grinding Advance

Russia said on Friday it captured another village in its slow, grinding advance in eastern Ukraine. Minutes before the start of the Istanbul meeting, Ukrainian media reported an air alert and explosions in the city of Dnipro.

Russia says it sees the talks as a continuation of negotiations, also in Istanbul, weeks after the 2022 invasion.

But the terms under discussion then, when Ukraine was still reeling from Russia's invasion, would be deeply disadvantageous to Kyiv now. They included a demand by Moscow for large cuts to Ukraine's military.

With Russian forces in control of about a fifth of Ukraine, Putin has insisted Kyiv cede territory, abandon NATO membership ambitions and become a neutral country.

Ukraine rejects these terms as tantamount to capitulation, and is seeking guarantees of its future security from world powers, especially the United States. - May 17, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations