World

UN calls for investigation into killings near Gaza aid distribution site

UN Secretary-General Guterres said in a statement on Monday: "I am appalled by the reports of Palestinians killed and injured while seeking aid in Gaza yesterday.

Updated 1 year ago · Published on 03 Jun 2025 12:33PM

UN calls for investigation into killings near Gaza aid distribution site
The US-backed Gaza Humanitarian Foundation has set up four aid distribution centre in southern and central Gaza - June 3, 2025

THE UN secretary-general has called for an independent investigation into the killing of Palestinians near an aid distribution centre in Gaza on Sunday, amid disputed reports that Israeli forces had opened fire on people waiting to collect aid.

Witnesses reported being shot at while waiting for food from the centre in Rafah run by the US and Israel-backed Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF), BBC News reported today.

The Red Cross said its hospital received 179 casualties, 21 of whom were dead. The Hamas-run Civil Defence agency put the death toll at 31.

On Sunday, the Israeli military denied its troops fired at civilians near or within the site and said reports to this effect were false.

The GHF said the reports were "outright fabrications" and that it was yet to see evidence of an attack at or near its facility.

Israel does not allow international news organisations, including the BBC, into Gaza, making verifying what is happening in the territory difficult.

UN Secretary-General Guterres said in a statement on Monday: "I am appalled by the reports of Palestinians killed and injured while seeking aid in Gaza yesterday.

"I call for an immediate and independent investigation into these events and for perpetrators to be held accountable."

Israel's foreign ministry responded by branding his comments a "disgrace" in a post on X, and criticised him for not mentioning Hamas.

Later on Monday, UN human rights chief Volker Turk told the BBC the way humanitarian aid is now being delivered is "unacceptable" and "dehumanising".

"I think what it shows is utter disregard for civilians. Can you imagine people that have been absolutely desperate for food, for medicine, for almost three months and then they have to run for it or try to get it in the most desperate circumstances? Mr Turk told the BBC World Service's Newshour programme.

"It does show a huge dehumanisation of the people who are desperately in need."

The Civil Defence agency said 31 people were killed and 176 wounded "after Israeli gunfire targeted thousands of civilians near the American aid centre in Rafah" early on Sunday morning.

According to the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), the Red Cross Field Hospital in Rafah received a "mass casualty influx" of 179 cases, including women and children, at that time.

The majority suffered gunshot or shrapnel wounds, and 21 were declared dead upon arrival, it said, adding "all patients said they had been trying to reach an aid distribution site".

Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) said its teams at Nasser hospital in Khan Younis also treated people with serious injuries, some of whom were in a critical condition.

It added the patients "reported being shot at from all sides by Israeli drones, helicopters, boats, tanks and soldiers", and that one staff member's brother was "killed while attempting to collect aid from the distribution centre".

A journalist in Rafah told the BBC a crowd of Palestinians had gathered near al-Alam roundabout in Rafah, close to the GHF's site, when Israeli tanks approached and opened fire.

One video posted online on Sunday morning appeared to show Palestinians taking cover in an open area of sandy terrain while what sounds like automatic gunfire rings out. However, the BBC was unable to verify the location because there are not enough features visible.

The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) put out a statement on Sunday afternoon that said an initial inquiry indicated its troops "did not fire at civilians while they were near or within the humanitarian aid distribution site and that reports to this effect are false".

Spokesman Brig Gen Effie Defrin accused Hamas of "spreading rumours" and "trying bluntly and violently to stop the people of Gaza from reaching those distribution centres".

The IDF also released drone video it said showed armed men firing at civilians on their way to collect aid, although the BBC was unable to verify where or when it was filmed.

Later on Sunday, an Israeli military official briefed reporters that soldiers had acted to "prevent a number of suspects from approaching the forces" approximately 1km from the GHF site, before it opened.

"Warning shots were fired," the official said, before insisting there was "no connection between the incident in question and the false allegations against the IDF".

The GHF said in a statement on Monday that the reports were "the most egregious in terms of outright fabrications and misinformation fed to the international media community.

"There were no injuries, fatalities or incidents during our operations yesterday. Period. We have yet to see any evidence that there was an attack at or near our facility."

The US ambassador to Israel, Mike Huckabee, accused major news outlets of "reckless and irresponsible reporting" on the matter.

"Drone video and first-hand accounts clearly showed that there were no injuries, no fatalities, no shooting, no chaos," he said on Monday.

"The only source for these misleading, exaggerated, and utterly fabricated stories came from Hamas sources, which are designed to fan the flames of antisemitic hate that is arguably contributing to violence against Jews in the United States," he added.

Meanwhile on Monday, health officials and local media reported that another three Palestinians were killed by Israeli fire near the same GHF centre in Rafah's Tal al-Sultan area.

A Red Cross spokesman told the Associated Press that its field hospital in Rafah received 50 wounded people, mostly with gunshot and shrapnel wounds, including two declared dead on arrival, while Nasser hospital in nearby Khan Younis said it received a third body.

The Israeli military said in a statement that "warning shots were fired toward several suspects who advanced toward" troops approximately 1km from the site.

The military added it was "aware of reports regarding casualties, and the details of the incident are being thoroughly looked into".

Also on Monday, the Civil Defence reported that 14 people, including six children and three women, were killed in an Israeli strike on a house in the northern town of Jabalia. More than 20 others were believed to be missing under the rubble of the destroyed building, it said.

There was no immediate comment from the IDF, but it said in a statement that its aircraft had struck dozens of targets across Gaza over the past day, including "military structures belonging to terror organisations", underground tunnels, and weapons stores.

Israel imposed a total blockade on Gaza on 2 March and resumed its military offensive two weeks later, collapsing a two-month ceasefire with Hamas. It said the steps were meant to put pressure on the armed group to release the 58 hostages still held in Gaza, at least 20 of whom are believed to be alive.

On 19 May, the Israeli military launched an expanded offensive that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said would see troops "take control of all areas" of Gaza. The following day, he said Israel would also temporarily ease the blockade and allow a "basic" amount of food into Gaza.

Israel launched a military campaign in Gaza in response to Hamas' cross-border attack on 7 October 2023, in which about 1,200 people were killed and 251 others were taken hostage.

At least 54,470 people have been killed in Gaza since then, including 4,201 since Israel resumed its offensive, according to the territory's Hamas-run health ministry. - June 3, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest