World

Iran condemns US strikes on nuclear sites as ‘Declaration of War’

Tehran accuses Washington of warmongering after joint US-Israeli strikes on key nuclear facilities spark fears of wider regional conflict

Updated 1 year ago · Published on 22 Jun 2025 6:24PM

Iran condemns US strikes on nuclear sites as ‘Declaration of War’
Abbas Araghchi says he wants Israel to be held accountable for its ‘crimes’ before considering further discussions. (Photo from Denis Balibouse/Reuters) - June 22, 2025

IRAN’S Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi has declared that “the time for diplomacy has passed” following joint US-Israeli strikes on Iran’s nuclear infrastructure, describing the attacks as an act of aggression with grave global consequences.

Speaking at a press conference in Turkey, Araghchi accused the United States of violating international norms. “The warmongering, a lawless administration in Washington is solely and fully responsible for the dangerous consequences and far-reaching implications of its act of aggression,” he said.

In remarks cited by the Associated Press, he added: “There is no red line the US has not crossed — and the most dangerous one was what happened only last night when they crossed a very big red line by attacking nuclear facilities only.”

Araghchi also announced plans to meet President Vladimir Putin in Moscow later on Sunday, warning that America’s involvement had effectively drawn it into the regional war between Iran and Israel.

Iran’s Foreign Ministry released a strongly worded statement declaring that the US had “betrayed diplomacy” and “launched a dangerous war against Iran,” asserting: “The Islamic Republic of Iran reserves its right to resist with full force against US military aggression and the crimes committed by this rogue regime, and to defend Iran’s security and national interests.”

In retaliation, Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps launched 40 missiles towards Israel, including the Khorramshahr-4 model capable of carrying multiple warheads. Israeli authorities confirmed more than 80 people were injured, and a multi-storey building in Tel Aviv suffered extensive damage.

The Israeli military responded by “swiftly neutralising” the Iranian launchers and striking military targets in western Iran.

Iran’s Atomic Energy Organisation confirmed the strikes targeted Fordo, Isfahan, and Natanz — all key nuclear sites. However, Tehran and the UN’s nuclear watchdog reported no immediate radiation leaks. Iranian officials vowed their nuclear programme would continue unabated.

US President Donald Trump, in an address from the White House, said that the attacks had “completely and fully obliterated” the three nuclear sites. “All planes are now outside of Iran airspace. A full payload of bombs was dropped on the primary site, Fordow. All planes are safely on their way home,” he said in a social media post.

“This is an historic moment for the United States of America, Israel, and the world. Iran must now agree to end this war. Thank you!” he added.

Satellite imagery analysed by the Associated Press showed extensive damage to the Fordo facility, buried deep within a mountain, including collapsed entryways and visible structural damage to the surrounding terrain.

US officials confirmed the use of B-2 stealth bombers armed with 30,000-pound bunker-buster munitions and submarine-launched Tomahawk cruise missiles. The Pentagon has yet to provide full details, but a military briefing is scheduled for 8am Eastern Time.

The International Atomic Energy Agency stated on X (formerly Twitter) that there had been “no increase in off-site radiation levels,” while it continues monitoring developments on the ground.

Trump’s move marks a stark departure from his previous campaign pledges to end “endless wars” and avoid deep US entanglement in foreign conflicts. Though he initially advocated a diplomatic solution to Iran’s nuclear ambitions, he is reported to have greenlit the strikes following heavy lobbying by Israeli officials and Republican lawmakers.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu praised Trump’s actions in a video message, calling them “bold” and “historic.” “Your decision to target Iran’s nuclear facilities with the awesome and righteous might of the United States will change history,” he said.

The United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres warned that the developments marked “a dangerous escalation,” urging restraint. “There is a growing risk that this conflict could rapidly get out of control — with catastrophic consequences for civilians, the region and the world,” he said.

In Yemen, Iran-aligned Houthi rebels called for a united Muslim front against “Zionist-American arrogance,” threatening renewed attacks in the Red Sea if US involvement continues.

Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei previously warned that strikes on Iranian territory would result in “irreparable damage” to US interests. Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmail Baghaei echoed that any American military intervention would trigger “an all-out war in the region.”

According to Human Rights Activists, an organisation based in Washington, Israeli airstrikes on Iran over the past nine days have killed at least 865 people, including 363 civilians and 215 members of Iran’s security forces. Over 3,300 people have reportedly been injured.

The situation remains highly volatile as world leaders call for urgent diplomatic intervention to prevent a broader war. - June 22, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month