World

Suicide attack on Damascus church kills at least 22

Attack, first of its kind in the Syrian capital, since Islamist-led forces toppled longtime ruler Bashar al-Assad in December

Updated 1 year ago · Published on 23 Jun 2025 11:32AM

Suicide attack on Damascus church kills at least 22
Security remains one of the greatest challenges for Syria's new authorities, with the international community repeatedly urging them to protect minorities - June 23, 2025

A SHOOTING and suicide bombing at a Damascus church during a packed service on Sunday (Jun 22) killed at least 22 people, authorities said, blaming a member of the Islamic State group for the unprecedented attack.

AFP reported today the international community condemned the attack, the first of its kind in the Syrian capital since Islamist-led forces toppled longtime ruler Bashar al-Assad in December.

It was also the first inside a church in Syria since the country's civil war erupted in 2011, according to a monitor.

Security remains one of the greatest challenges for Syria's new authorities, with the international community repeatedly urging them to protect minorities.

AFP correspondents saw first responders transporting people from the Orthodox church as security forces cordoned off the area.

The church itself was strewn with wood from fittings and pews, with fallen icons and pools of blood on the floor.

"A suicide attacker affiliated with the Daesh (IS) terrorist group entered the Saint Elias church in the Dwelaa area ... opened fire then blew himself up with an explosive belt," an interior ministry statement said.

State news agency SANA, citing the ministry of health, reported a death toll of 22, with 63 injured.

Lawrence Maamari who was inside the church when the attack happened told AFP a man had entered and begun shooting. People "tried to stop him before he blew himself up", he added.

Ziad Helou, 40, who was at a shop nearby, said he heard gunfire then an explosion, and saw glass flying.

"We saw fire in the church and the remains of wooden benches thrown all the way to the entrance," he said

Heinous Crime

The blast sparked panic and fear in the church, which had been full of worshippers, including children and the elderly, eyewitnesses said. Families were still searching desperately for missing loved ones.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said it was the first suicide attack inside a church in Syria since war erupted in 2011. Other churches had been damaged or seen attacks in their vicinity during the conflict, but none had been so directly targeted.

The Orthodox patriarchate in Damascus called on "the authorities to bear full responsibility for what has happened and is happening concerning the violation of the sanctity of churches, and to ensure the protection of all citizens".

Syria's Christian community has shrunk from around one million before the war to under 300,000 due to waves of displacement and emigration.

The United Nations special envoy for Syria Geir Pedersen expressed "outrage at this heinous crime", calling for a full investigation.

United States special envoy Tom Barrack said Washington supported Syria "as it fights against those who are seeking to create instability and fear in their country and the broader region".

Turkey, which is close to the new authorities, expressed confidence that Syrians would stay united in "their fight against terrorist organisations that seek to sow chaos in the country".

France's foreign ministry restated its commitment to "a transition in Syria that allows Syrians, whatever their religion, to live in peace and security in a free, united, pluralistic, prosperous, stable and sovereign" country.

Egypt's Al-Azhar, Sunni Islam's prestigious seat of learning, called it a "blatant assault on the right to life" and worship.

Investigation

Syria's foreign ministry described the attack as "a desperate attempt to undermine national coexistence and to destabilise the country".

Assad had portrayed himself as a protector of minorities, who during Syria's nearly 14-year civil war were targeted by numerous attacks - many of them claimed by jihadist groups including IS.

Since the new authorities took power, the international community has urged the government to protect minorities and ensure their participation in Syria's transition, particularly after sectarian violence in recent months.

Interior Minister Anas Khattab said that specialised teams had begun investigating.

"These terrorist acts will not stop the efforts of the Syrian state in achieving civil peace," Khattab said according to a statement.

In an interview earlier this month, Khattab said that IS had shifted "to studied attacks on strategic targets" and had attempted "to carry out attacks against the Christian and Shiite community" that the authorities had thwarted.

Last month, IS claimed its first attack on Syria's new government forces. Authorities said they had arrested members of an IS cell near Damascus, accusing them of preparing attacks.

IS seized large swathes of Syrian and Iraqi territory in the early years of the civil war, declaring a cross-border "caliphate" in 2014 before being territorially defeated in 2019. - June 23, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus