World

CIA director says Iran's nuclear sites 'severely damaged'

President Trump again maintained the raid had "obliterated" Iran's nuclear facilities

Updated 1 year ago · Published on 26 Jun 2025 8:20AM

CIA director says Iran's nuclear sites 'severely damaged'
Key sites had been destroyed, Ratcliffe says stopping short of declaring that Iran's nuclear programme had been eliminated outright - June 26, 2025

THE head of the CIA has said US strikes "severely damaged" Iran's nuclear facilities and set them back years, diverging from a leaked intelligence report that angered President Donald Trump by downplaying the raid's impact.

The BBC cited John Ratcliffe, the US spy agency's director, said key sites had been destroyed, though he stopped short of declaring that Iran's nuclear programme had been eliminated outright.

It comes a day after a leaked preliminary assessment from a Pentagon intelligence agency suggested core components of Iran's nuclear programme remained intact after the US bombings.

President Trump again maintained the raid had "obliterated" Iran's nuclear facilities.

The Republican president took to social media on Wednesday to post that the "fake news" media had "lied and totally misrepresented the facts, none of which they had".

He said Secretary of Defence Pete Hegseth and other military officials would hold an "interesting and irrefutable" news conference on Thursday at the Pentagon "in order to fight for the Dignity of our Great American Pilots".

It came as Israel and Iran seemed to honour a fragile ceasefire that Trump helped negotiate this week on the 12th day of the war.

Speaking at The Hague where he attended a Nato summit on Wednesday, Trump said of the strikes: "It was very severe. It was obliteration."

He also said he would probably seek a commitment from Iran to end its nuclear ambitions at talks next week. Iran has not acknowledged any such negotiations.

But US Middle East envoy Steve Witkoff told US network NBC there has been direct and indirect communication between the countries.

Ratcliffe's statement said the CIA's information included "new intelligence from an historically reliable and accurate source/method that several key Iranian nuclear facilities were destroyed and would have to be rebuilt over the course of years".

Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard has also come out in support of Trump's assessment on the damage to Iranian nuclear facilities.

"If the Iranians chose to rebuild, they would have to rebuild all three facilities (Natanz, Fordo, Esfahan) entirely, which would likely take years to do," she wrote on X.

The US operation involved 125 military aircraft, targeting the three main Iranian nuclear facilities on Saturday.

New satellite images show six craters clustered around two entry points at Fordo, with similar craters spotted at Isfahan. But it is unclear if the nuclear facilities located deep underground were wiped out.

A report from the Pentagon's Defense Intelligence Agency was leaked to US media on Tuesday, estimating that the US bombing had set back Iran's nuclear programme "only a few months".

The US defence secretary said that assessment was made with "low confidence".

Officials familiar with the evaluation cautioned it was an early assessment that could change as more information emerges. The US has 18 intelligence agencies, which sometimes produce conflicting reports based on their mission and area of expertise.

UN nuclear watchdog chief Rafael Grossi said on Wednesday that there is a chance Tehran moved much of its highly enriched uranium elsewhere as it came under attack.

But Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmail Baghaei told Al Jazeera on Wednesday: "Our nuclear installations have been badly damaged, that's for sure." He did not elaborate.

A report by the Israeli Atomic Energy Commission said the strike on Fordo "destroyed the site's critical infrastructure".

The damage across all the sites, the report said, has pushed Iran's timeline for nuclear weapons back by "many years".

Yet Mehdi Mohammadi, an adviser to the chairman of the Iranian parliament, said shortly after the US strikes that "no irreversible damage was sustained" at Fordo.

Iran has long maintained that its nuclear programme is peaceful. US intelligence agencies have previously said Tehran was not actively building atomic weapons. - June 26, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus