World

Son of Norway princess suspected of three rapes

The son of Norway's crown princess is suspected of three rapes and nearly two dozen other offences, Norwegian police said Friday, handing the case to prosecutors to decide whether to press charges

Updated 1 year ago · Published on 28 Jun 2025 12:24PM

Son of Norway princess suspected of three rapes
Marius Borg Høiby sitting next to his mother Norwegian Crown Princess Mette-Marit (Lise Åserud / NTB/AFP) - June 28, 2025

MARIUS Borg Hoiby, who was born as a result of a relationship before Crown Princess Mette-Marit's marriage to Crown Prince Haakon, has been under investigation since his arrest on August 4 last year on suspicion of assaulting his girlfriend.

AFP reported that the arrest led to a slew of allegations against the 28-year-old that have shaken the royal family.

Police attorney Andreas Kruszweski told reporters the 10-month investigation had been completed.

Hoiby was suspected of "one count of rape with sexual intercourse" and "two counts of rape without sexual intercourse", Kruszweski said.

Hoiby's lawyer Ellen Holager Andenaes told news agency NTB her client rejected the three rape allegations.

Hoiby has previously admitted to assault and vandalism in the August 2024 incident.

In a public statement 10 days after his arrest, he said he had acted "under the influence of alcohol and cocaine after an argument", having suffered from "mental troubles" and struggling "for a long time with substance abuse".

Behind bars

Police said Hoiby was also suspected of four counts of sexually offensive behaviour, one count of abuse in a close relationship, two counts of bodily harm, one count of vandalism, one count of issuing threats, five violations of restraining orders, one count of insulting a police officer, and five traffic offences.

"I cannot elaborate on the number of victims in the case other than to confirm that we are talking about a double-digit number," Kruszweski said.

Hoiby, a tall strapping blond who cultivates a "bad boy" look with slicked back hair, earrings, rings and tattoos, has been in the eye of a media storm since his arrest.

When the rape allegations emerged in November, he spent a week behind bars in custody -- unprecedented for a member of Norway's royal family.

After his release, he reportedly went to rehab in London.

Hoiby is the child of a brief romance between his mother and Morten Borg -- who has also been convicted of abuse and drug-related crimes -- at a time when the future princess was part of Norway's house music scene, known for its abundance of hash and ecstasy.

Bad company

Hoiby was propelled into the spotlight at the age of four when his mother married Norway's crown prince, with whom she went on to have two more children.

He was raised by the royal couple alongside his step-siblings Princess Ingrid Alexandra and Prince Sverre Magnus, aged 21 and 19.

Unlike them, however, he has no official public role.

Despite Mette-Marit's attempts to shield him from the public eye, he has made headlines over the years.

"He has been put in a virtually impossible position: one foot in, one foot out. He is not technically part of the royal household but he grew up in it," said Sigrid Hvidsten, royals commentator at the newspaper Dagbladet.

"He has lived in a grey zone, a kind of gilded cage," she told AFP in December 2024.

A cage that has not stopped him from keeping bad company in recent years.

According to media reports, he has hung out with gang members, Hells Angels bikers and members of Oslo's Albanian mafia. In 2023, police contacted him to have a cautionary talk after he was seen moving in the same circles as "notorious criminals".

Once the assault scandal hit the headlines in August, it emerged that Hoiby had already been arrested in 2017 for using cocaine at a music festival.

He has lived a comfortable lifestyle provided for by his mother and stepfather, and has shown little interest in academic studies or work.

Several of his ex-girlfriends were among the plaintiffs in cases against him.

His excesses have struck a blow to the monarchy, at least temporarily, though it remains popular, in particular King Harald and Crown Prince Haakon.

A poll published in December by Norwegian broadcaster NRK showed 45 percent of people questioned said their opinion of the royal household had deteriorated over the past year. - June 28, 2028

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war