World

US Senate report slams Secret Service failings in Trump assassination attempt

An US Senate investigation exposed “unacceptable failures” by the US Secret Service, including delayed action and poor threat response

Updated 1 year ago · Published on 14 Jul 2025 3:05PM

US Senate report slams Secret Service failings in Trump assassination attempt
This was not an error in judgement. It was a wholesale security failure at every level - July 14, 2025

A US Senate report has found that a series of “unacceptable failures” in planning, communication, and response by the United States Secret Service contributed to last year’s attempted assassination of Donald Trump, who was then a presidential candidate.

The report, released by the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, follows the 2024 shooting incident in Butler, Pennsylvania, in which a 20-year-old gunman fired eight rounds at Trump during a campaign rally, slightly injuring him.

One spectator was killed and two others wounded before the shooter was neutralised by a sniper.

“What happened was inexcusable, and the disciplinary action taken so far does not reflect the gravity of the situation,” Bernama-Xinhua cited the report saying.

The committee, chaired by Republican Senator Rand Paul, did not mince words.

“This was not an error in judgement. It was a wholesale security failure at every level — driven by bureaucratic complacency, a lack of clear protocols, and a shocking unwillingness to act on a direct threat,” said Paul in a statement.

Most damningly, the report revealed that Secret Service personnel had identified a suspicious individual nearly 45 minutes before shots were fired but failed to take decisive action.

 This, the report concluded, was part of “a troubling pattern of communication breakdowns and negligence that led to a preventable tragedy.”

In the wake of the incident, Secret Service Director Kimberly Cheatle resigned. According to the agency, six agents involved have been suspended for periods ranging from 10 to 42 days. ]

However, no personnel have been dismissed — a point of criticism highlighted by the Senate report, which noted that the punishments were more lenient than those recommended by the committee.

“We must ensure those responsible are held accountable, and that reforms are fully implemented to prevent such failures in the future,” Senator Paul added. - July 14, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation