World

Trump to withdraw US from UNESCO again, citing ‘woke’ and ‘divisive’ agenda

Move marks second American exit from UN cultural agency under Trump as critics warn of geopolitical and diplomatic fallout

Updated 1 year ago · Published on 23 Jul 2025 10:30AM

Trump to withdraw US from UNESCO again, citing ‘woke’ and ‘divisive’ agenda
Decision reflects Trump’s broader “America First” foreign policy, which has long questioned the relevance and neutrality of multilateral institutions including the United Nations - July 23, 2025

THE United States will once again withdraw from the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), US President Donald Trump has announced, repeating a controversial move first made during his previous term in office. The withdrawal will take effect at the end of 2026.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, the White House accused the Paris-based agency of supporting “woke, divisive cultural and social causes that are totally out-of-step with the commonsense policies that Americans voted for”.

The decision reflects Trump’s broader “America First” foreign policy, which has long questioned the relevance and neutrality of multilateral institutions including the United Nations, NATO, and the World Trade Organization.

Reuters cited a spokesperson for the US State Department saying: “UNESCO promotes a globalist, ideological agenda for international development at odds with our America First foreign policy.” Washington also criticised the organisation’s decision to admit Palestine as a member state, calling it “highly problematic” and a driver of “anti-Israel rhetoric”.

UNESCO Director-General Audrey Azoulay said she “deeply regretted” the US decision, though it had been anticipated. “Even though the situation has changed profoundly, political tensions have receded, and UNESCO today constitutes a rare forum for consensus on action-oriented multilateralism,” she said.

She also defended UNESCO’s recent record, noting that “these claims contradict the reality of UNESCO’s efforts, particularly in the field of Holocaust education and the fight against antisemitism.”

French President Emmanuel Macron expressed “unwavering support” for the agency, describing it as a “universal protector” of global heritage. France’s foreign ministry said it “regrets the United States’ decision to leave UNESCO” and reaffirmed its support for the body’s work, including “access to education for all, the protection of endangered heritage, and the responsible development of artificial intelligence”.

Israel welcomed the move, with UN Ambassador Danny Danon accusing the agency of “consistent misguided anti-Israel bias”. Foreign Minister Gideon Sa’ar thanked the US for its “moral support and leadership”, saying the singling out of Israel and politicisation in UN agencies “must end”.

Meanwhile, critics within the US expressed concern over the geopolitical implications of the withdrawal. Senator Jeanne Shaheen, a senior Democrat on the Republican-led Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said the move was “short-sighted and a win for China”, which became UNESCO’s top financial contributor after the previous US exit.

The United States, a founding member of UNESCO in 1945, has had a strained relationship with the agency. It first withdrew in 1984 under President Ronald Reagan, citing financial mismanagement and alleged anti-American bias, but rejoined in 2003 under George W. Bush. Funding was halted again in 2011 under President Barack Obama following UNESCO’s recognition of Palestinian membership.

Trump first announced a US withdrawal in 2017, citing bias against Israel, before the decision was reversed by President Joe Biden in 2023. At the time of that initial exit, the US owed \$542 million in unpaid dues.

UNESCO is best known for its World Heritage Site designations, which include 26 sites in the United States such as the Grand Canyon and the Statue of Liberty, and more than 1,200 globally.

Despite the anticipated impact of Washington’s exit, Azoulay said the agency had since diversified its funding and now receives only around 8% of its budget from the United States. - July 23, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran