World

Hundreds of UN staff pressure rights chief to call Gaza a genocide

Israel denies genocide claims, citing self-defense against Hamas as UN human rights department holds internal discussions on Gaza conflict response

Updated 11 months ago · Published on 29 Aug 2025 8:51AM

Hundreds of UN staff pressure rights chief to call Gaza a genocide
Letter cites UN's past failure in Rwanda as a warning - August 29, 2025

HUNDREDS of U.N. staff at the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Turk have written to ask him to explicitly describe the Gaza war as an unfolding genocide, according to a letter seen by Reuters.

Reuters cited the letter sent on Wednesday said the staff consider that the legal criteria for genocide in the nearly two-year Israel-Hamas war in Gaza have been met, citing the scale, scope and nature of violations documented there.

"OHCHR has a strong legal and moral responsibility to denounce acts of genocide," said the letter signed by the Staff Committee on behalf of more than 500 employees, which called on Turk to take a "clear and public position."

"Failing to denounce an unfolding genocide undermines the credibility of the U.N. and the human rights system itself," it added.

It cited the international body's perceived moral failure for not doing more to stop the 1994 Rwanda genocide that killed more than 1 million people.

Turk has the full and unconditional support of U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, said U.N. spokesperson Stephane Dujarric, adding: “Labelling of an event as a genocide is up to a competent legal authority.”

Israel's Foreign Ministry said it does not respond to internal U.N. employees’ letters "even if they are false, baseless, and blinded by obsessive hatred towards Israel."

Israel has previously rejected accusations of genocide in Gaza, citing its right to self-defence following the deadly October 7, 2023, Hamas attack that killed 1,200 people and resulted in 251 hostages, according to Israeli figures.

The subsequent war in Gaza has killed almost 63,000 people, according to the Gaza Health Ministry, while a global hunger monitor says part of it is suffering from famine.

The Geneva-based agency was created in 1993 and tasked with promoting and protecting human rights for all.

The appeal to Turk, an Austrian lawyer who has worked for the United Nations for decades, was backed by around a quarter of his 2,000 global staff.

That's according to the head of the World Food Program on Thursday, a week after a global hunger monitor declared parts of Gaza are in the grip of famine.

Some rights groups like Amnesty International have already accused Israel of committing genocide and an independent U.N. expert Francesca Albanese has also used the term, but not the United Nations itself.

U.N. officials have in the past said it is up to international courts to determine genocide.

In 2023, South Africa brought a genocide case against Israel’s actions in Gaza to the International Court of Justice but the case has not yet been heard on its merits – a process that can take years.

Shaken To The Core

"The situation in Gaza has shaken us all to our core," said OHCHR spokesperson Ravina Shamdasani, citing difficult circumstances faced by the office as it tries to document facts and raise the alarm.

"There have been and will continue to be discussions internally on how to move forward," she said in reference to the letter.

Turk, who has repeatedly condemned Israel's actions in Gaza and warned of the increasing risk of atrocity crimes, said the letter raised important concerns.

"I know we all share a feeling of moral indignation at the horrors we are witnessing, as well as frustration in the face of the international community’s inability to bring this situation to an end," he said in a copy of his response seen by Reuters, calling for employees to "remain united as an Office in the face of such adversity." - August 29, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt