World

After issuing 'last warning' to Hamas, Trump eyes Gaza deal 'soon'

Hamas reiterated its readiness for negotiations to release all hostages in exchange for a "clear announcement of an end to the war"

Updated 11 months ago · Published on 08 Sep 2025 11:08AM

After issuing 'last warning' to Hamas, Trump eyes Gaza deal 'soon'
Trump had warned Hamas to accept his terms of an agreement, without giving any specifics - Sept 8, 2025

U.S. President Donald Trump on Sunday suggested a Gaza deal could come soon to secure the release of all the hostages held by Hamas, after earlier issuing what he called his "last warning" to the Palestinian militant group.

Trump, speaking to reporters after landing in the Washington area on Sunday evening following a brief trip to New York, said he had been discussing the issue on the plane.

"We're working on a solution that may be very good," Reuters reported him saying. He declined to give further details. "You'll be hearing about it pretty soon. We're trying to get it ended, get the hostages back."

Earlier on Sunday, he warned Hamas to accept his terms of an agreement, without giving any specifics.

"The Israelis have accepted my Terms. It is time for Hamas to accept as well," Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform. "I have warned Hamas about the consequences of not accepting. This is my last warning, there will not be another one!"

Hamas later said that it received some ideas from the United States' side through mediators to reach a ceasefire deal in Gaza and was discussing ways to develop those ideas. It also gave no details of the possible agreement.

Hamas, in its statement, also reiterated its readiness for negotiations to release all hostages in exchange for a "clear announcement of an end to the war" and the complete withdrawal of Israeli forces from the enclave.

Trump told reporters that he thought all the hostages would be returned: "I think we're going to get them all."

He noted that some may already have died but the aim would be to have their bodies returned.

On Saturday, Israel's N12 News reported that Trump has put forth a new ceasefire proposal to Hamas.

Under the deal, Hamas would free all the remaining 48 hostages on the first day of the truce in exchange for thousands of Palestinian prisoners jailed in Israel and negotiate an end to the war during a ceasefire in the enclave, according to N12.

An Israeli official said Israel was "seriously considering" Trump's proposal but did not elaborate. - Sept 8, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt