World

207 killed in Ethiopia: rights commission

New death toll more than doubles the initial count of 100 men, women, and children, killed by gunmen on Wednesday

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 26 Dec 2020 11:30PM

207 killed in Ethiopia: rights commission
Ethiopia's Human Rights Commission says a tally of people killed by gunmen on Wednesday in the country's Metekel area now stands at 207, more than double initial estimates. – AFP pic, December 26, 2020

ADDIS ABABA – A total of 207 people were killed in a Wednesday attack by gunmen in western Ethiopia, the country’s Human Rights Commission (EHRC) said, more than doubling a previous count.

The independent government body had on Wednesday said 100 people were killed in their sleep and crops burned in a pre-dawn assault in the Metekel area of the Benishangul-Gumuz region.

“133 of the victims were adult men and 35 were adult women. Seventeen children, one of whom was a six-month-old baby, and 20 elderly persons were killed,” the EHRC said in a statement posted to Twitter late yesterday.

Mostly inhabited by ethnic Shinasha, Oromo and Amhara people – the last two making up Ethiopia’s most populous groups – the Metekel area has suffered a string of deadly attacks in recent months.

Local leaders blame ethnic Gumuz people for the violence.

Following Wednesday’s attack, “effort is underway to identify the victims with the help of survivors and identity cards,” the EHRC said.

The body repeated its appeal for “relevant authorities to provide urgently humanitarian assistance to the victims and persons displaced by the attack.”

It added that around 10,000 had fled the Bekuji Kebele area and made for the city of Bulen, around 40km away, which is already sheltering “thousands of displaced persons”.
“Bulen city is overwhelmed. The roads leading to the city are still teeming with displaced persons and their herds of cattle,” one eyewitness told the commission.

Regional authorities said on Thursday that troops had killed 42 armed men alleged to have taken part in the massacre, without giving details about their identities.

“The massacre in the Benishangul-Gumuz region is very tragic,” Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed said in a Twitter post on Thursday, conceding the government’s efforts to solve the problem “had not yielded results”.

In October, he had said that fighters “armed and trained” in Sudan's neighbouring Blue Nile state were behind the violence and urged Khartoum to tackle the problem.

Abiy claimed that the latest attack had been aimed at “dividing the significant force” deployed to the country’s dissident northern Tigray region.

There is no known link between the violence in Benishangul-Gumuz and military operations in Tigray. 

Thousands have been killed in the Tigray conflict, according to the International Crisis Group think tank, and more than 50,000 people have fled over the border into Sudan. – AFP, December 26, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 1w

Six per cent growth proves Malaysia's economy remains resilient - PM

Malaysia / 2mth

Malaysia ensures secure energy supply through international strategic cooperation – PM

Business / 2mth

Supply crisis to push costs beyond oil prices, Whole-of-nation response needed - Hassan Marican

Malaysia / 2mth

No urgency for snap polls in Penang, says CM

Malaysia / 2mth

Malaysia's oil supply still sufficient - Amir Hamzah

Business / 2mth

Time for banks to step up and do their part, stresses former finance minister

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus