World

Judge condemns Sean Combs’ abuse as ‘subjugation’ in sentencing over sex-related offences

Music mogul Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs handed 50-month prison sentence for arranging illicit performances; judge highlights long-term harm inflicted on ex-girlfriends

Updated 10 months ago · Published on 04 Oct 2025 9:04AM

Judge condemns Sean Combs’ abuse as ‘subjugation’ in sentencing over sex-related offences
The court notes the evidence presented in court demonstrated a long-standing pattern of abuse against his ex-girlfriends - October 4, 2025

SEAN “Diddy” Combs has been sentenced to four years and two months in prison following his conviction for arranging prostitution-related activities, with a U.S. federal judge sharply criticising the music mogul for what he described as the “subjugation” of two former girlfriends.

Combs, 55, remained expressionless as U.S. District Judge Arun Subramanian delivered the 50-month sentence at the close of a full-day hearing in Manhattan. The sentence came despite the jury’s decision in July to acquit Combs of the more serious charges of racketeering and sex trafficking, which had carried the potential for life imprisonment.

Reuters reported today that the judge noted that while Combs had been cleared of those charges, the evidence presented in court demonstrated a long-standing pattern of abuse against his ex-girlfriends, rhythm and blues singer Casandra Ventura and another woman identified only as Jane.

“The court rejects the defence’s attempt to characterise what happened here as merely intimate, consensual experiences, or just a sex, drugs, and rock-and-roll story,” said Judge Subramanian. “This was subjugation, and it drove both Ms Ventura and Jane to thoughts of ending their lives.”

Prosecutors had pushed for a sentence of at least 11 years and three months, pointing to years of alleged coercion, psychological abuse and violence. The jury, however, convicted Combs on lesser counts: specifically, two counts of arranging for paid male escorts to cross state lines to participate in drug-fuelled sexual performances with Combs’ partners, which he filmed.

Although Combs pleaded not guilty, he apologised in court to both women and told the judge he had “learned his lesson”.

“I know I’ll never put my hands on another person again,” said Combs, founder of Bad Boy Records and a prominent figure credited with helping shape the modern American hip-hop industry.

His legal team, led by Marc Agnifilo, said Combs would appeal the sentence, arguing the judge had “second-guessed the jury’s verdict” and imposed a punishment that did not reflect the actual conviction. The defence had recommended a 14-month term, citing Combs’ prior philanthropy and positive steps taken since his arrest in September 2024.

Combs has been in custody at the Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn since his arrest and is likely to serve less than three years after accounting for time already spent behind bars.

At the hearing, Combs’ children appealed for leniency. His 18-year-old daughter, Jessie, addressed the court tearfully, saying: “We aren’t here to excuse any of his mistakes. But, Your Honour, he is still our dad, and we still need him present in our lives.”

Combs lowered his head as his children spoke, visibly emotional by the end of their remarks. His legal team also screened a short documentary-style video showcasing his charitable work, including running the New York Marathon to raise funds and mentoring schoolchildren.

Judge Subramanian acknowledged these contributions, saying prosecutors had not fully accounted for mitigating factors. However, he emphasised that the abuse suffered by the two women could not be dismissed.

“While nothing can undo the trauma caused by Combs, the sentence imposed today recognises the impact of the serious offences he committed,” said Douglas Wigdor, a lawyer for Ms Ventura, in a statement following the sentencing.

In closing, the judge thanked both Ventura and Jane for their testimony, which he said could empower other survivors to speak out.

“The number of people who you reached is incalculable,” Judge Subramanian told them. - October 4, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren