World

Hamas readies for Gaza talks that US hopes will halt war, free hostages

Palestinians wonder when Trump's Gaza plan will be implemented

Updated 10 months ago · Published on 06 Oct 2025 7:55AM

Hamas readies for Gaza talks that US hopes will halt war, free hostages
Israel pounds Gaza despite Trump's call for end to bombing - October 6, 2025

HAMAS officials arrived in Egypt on Sunday ahead of talks with Israel that the U.S. hopes will lead to a halt in fighting and the freeing of hostages in Gaza, with Washington's top diplomat saying the next days are critical.

Israeli negotiators led by Strategic Affairs Minister Ron Dermer were to travel to Egypt on Monday for negotiations in the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh about the release of hostages, part of U.S. President Donald Trump's plan to end the nearly two-year Gaza war.

"We will know very quickly whether Hamas is serious or not by how these technical talks go in terms of the logistics," Reuters cited U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio teilling NBC News: "Meet the Press" on Sunday about the release of 48 remaining hostages in Gaza, 20 of whom are alive.

Trump said later on Sunday negotiations were advancing rapidly. "I am told that the first phase should be completed this week, and I am asking everyone to MOVE FAST," he said in a social media post.

The first phase deals with the release of hostages in exchange for the release of Palestinian prisoners.

A Hamas delegation, led by the group's exiled Gaza chief, Khalil Al-Hayya, landed in Egypt late Sunday to join representatives of the U.S. and Qatar for talks over the implementation of the most advanced effort yet to halt the conflict.

It was the first visit by Hayya to Egypt since he survived an Israeli strike in Doha, the Qatari capital, last month.

Trump has promoted a 20-point plan aimed at ending the fighting in Gaza, securing the release of remaining hostages, and defining the territory's future. Israel and Hamas have agreed to parts of the plan.

Hamas on Friday accepted the hostage release and several other elements but sidestepped contentious points, including calls for its disarmament — which it has long rejected.

Trump welcomed Hamas' response, saying he believed Hamas had shown it was "ready for a lasting PEACE." He told Israel to stop bombing Gaza immediately, but its attacks on the enclave have continued.

Avoiding A Phased Approach

An official briefed on the talks in Egypt said negotiators would focus on hammering out a comprehensive deal before a ceasefire can be implemented.

"This differs from earlier rounds of negotiations which followed a phased approach, where the first phase was agreed and then required more negotiations to reach subsequent phases in the ceasefire," the official told Reuters.

"These subsequent rounds of negotiations is where things broke down previously and there is a conscious effort among mediators to avoid that approach this time around."

Rubio told ABC's "This Week" that a timeline for finalising an agreement to release the hostages was uncertain but that talks "cannot take weeks or even multiple days. We want to see this happen very fast."

Strikes Continue

The plan has stirred hopes for peace among Palestinians, but there was no let-up of Israeli attacks on Gaza on Sunday. Planes and tanks pounded areas across the enclave, killing at least 19 people, local health authorities said.

Four of those killed were seeking aid in the south of the strip, and five were killed in an airstrike in Gaza City in the early afternoon, they said.

Ahmed Assad, a displaced Palestinian man in central Gaza, said he had been hopeful when news broke of Trump's plan, but said nothing had changed on the ground.

"We do not see any change to the situation; on the contrary, we don't know what action to take, what shall we do? Shall we remain in the streets? Shall we leave?" he asked.

Some In Israel Optimistic For End To War

In a sign of Israeli optimism over the Trump plan, the shekel currency hit a three-year high against the dollar and Tel Aviv stocks reached an all-time high.

Some people in Tel Aviv shared that sentiment. "It's the first time in months that I'm actually hopeful. Trump has really instilled a lot of hope into us," said resident Gil Shelly.

Domestically, Israeli President Benjamin Netanyahu is caught between growing pressure to end the war — from hostage families and a war-weary public — and demands from hardline members of his coalition who insist there must be no let-up in Israel's campaign in Gaza.

Far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said on X that halting attacks on Gaza would be a "grave mistake." He and Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir have threatened to bring down Netanyahu's government if the Gaza war ends.

But opposition leader Yair Lapid of the centrist Yesh Atid party has said political cover will be provided so the Trump initiative can succeed and "we won't let them torpedo the deal".

Israel began attacking Gaza after the October 7, 2023, Hamas-led attack on Israel in which some 1,200 people, mostly civilians, were killed and 251 taken hostage, according to Israeli tallies.

Israel's campaign, which has killed more than 67,000 people in Gaza, most of them civilians, according to Gaza health authorities, has led to its international isolation.

Meanwhile, U.S. President Donald Trump said on Sunday talks with Hamas to end Israel's war in Gaza and release hostages held by the Palestinian militant group were advancing rapidly.

"These talks have been very successful, and proceeding rapidly. The technical teams will again meet Monday, in Egypt, to work through and clarify the final details. I am told that the first phase should be completed this week, and I am asking everyone to MOVE FAST," Trump said in a social media post.  - October 6, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident