World

China stands firm on rare earths as Trump threatens 100% tariffs

Beijing urges dialogue over confrontation as tensions rise ahead of potential Trump-Xi meeting

Updated 10 months ago · Published on 13 Oct 2025 10:17AM

China stands firm on rare earths as Trump threatens 100% tariffs
Washington signals readiness but warns of firm retaliation if provoked - October 13, 2025

CHINA has issued a sharp response to former U.S. President Donald Trump’s renewed tariff threats, vowing it would not capitulate to pressure and instead calling for disputes to be resolved through negotiation, not provocation.

“China’s stance is consistent. We do not want a tariff war but we are not afraid of one,” AP cite the Commerce Ministry saying in a statement posted online on Sunday, marking its first official comment following Trump’s threat to impose 100% tariffs on all Chinese imports from 1 November.

The threats follow Beijing’s move to tighten export controls on rare earths, minerals crucial to a wide array of high-tech and military applications. China currently produces nearly 70% of the world’s rare earths and processes close to 90%, making it an indispensable player in global supply chains.

The ministry’s statement, presented as answers from an unnamed spokesperson, stressed that the United States should “address concerns through dialogue” and warned that if Washington “obstinately insists on its practice, China will be sure to resolutely take corresponding measures to safeguard its legitimate rights and interests.”

Hours later, Trump adopted a softer tone, posting on his Truth Social platform, “Don’t worry about China, it will all be fine! Highly respected President Xi just had a bad moment. He doesn’t want Depression for his country, and neither do I. The U.S.A. wants to help China, not hurt it!!!”

Despite the conciliatory language, Trump did not walk back the threatened tariffs or the suggestion of possible export controls on what he termed “critical software”, though he gave no further details. The timing of his comments appeared aimed at easing investor nerves after the S&P 500 fell 2.7% on Friday — its worst day in six months.

Vice President JD Vance, appearing on Fox News, reinforced the administration’s hard line, calling China’s dominance in key supply chains “a national emergency”.

“It’s going to be a delicate dance,” said Vance. “If they respond in a highly aggressive manner, I guarantee you the president of the United States has far more cards than the People’s Republic of China.”

However, he added that Trump remained open to negotiation: “Donald Trump is always willing to be a reasonable negotiator. We’re going to find out in the weeks to come whether China wants to start a trade war or actually be reasonable.”

The flare-up in tensions has cast uncertainty over the prospect of a future Trump-Xi meeting and threatens to upend the fragile truce struck earlier in the year. Both sides have accused the other of violating the agreement by implementing new restrictions — Beijing on rare earth exports and Washington on export controls and port fees.

The Chinese Commerce Ministry said it would still grant export licences for rare earths used in legitimate civilian applications, though it emphasised the materials’ strategic importance, particularly in military technology.

New regulations now also require foreign firms to seek Chinese government approval before exporting any items that contain Chinese-sourced rare earths, regardless of where the products are manufactured.

China has also retaliated against new US port charges set to take effect on Tuesday by announcing similar fees for American ships.

As economic and political stakes rise, both nations are navigating a high-risk standoff that could reverberate through global trade and markets in the coming weeks. - October 13, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest