World

Hamas refuses to commit to disarmament amid Gaza ceasefire talks

Senior official says group will maintain presence on the ground, questions disarmament demand as Israel insists Hamas adhere to Trump plan

Updated 10 months ago · Published on 18 Oct 2025 10:10AM

Hamas refuses to commit to disarmament amid Gaza ceasefire talks
Hamas aims to keep grip on Gaza security and can't commit to disarm, senior official says - October 18, 2025

HAMAS intends to retain a security role in Gaza during a transitional period and cannot commit to disarmament at this stage, a senior official has said, underscoring the profound challenges facing U.S.-led efforts to secure a lasting end to the war.

Speaking from Doha, senior Hamas politburo member Mohammed Nazzal told Reuters that while the group was willing to accept a ceasefire lasting between three and five years to rebuild the war-ravaged enclave, its continued presence on the ground was essential for maintaining order.

“This is a transitional phase. Civilly, there will be a technocratic administration as I said. On the ground, Hamas will be present,” Reuters cited Nazzal stating on Saturday, adding that the group had no plans to retain control after the interim period. Elections should follow the transitional governance, he said.

Pressed on whether Hamas would surrender its weapons as part of the ceasefire arrangement, Nazzal was unequivocal in his uncertainty.

“I can't answer with a yes or no. Frankly, it depends on the nature of the project. The disarmament project you're talking about, what does it mean? To whom will the weapons be handed over?”

He said any such discussion would require a broader consensus among all Palestinian factions.

The comments come as international mediators prepare to enter a second phase of talks after a partial ceasefire agreement was reached. Nazzal’s remarks reflect widening gaps between Hamas' stated aims and the requirements outlined in U.S. President Donald Trump's proposed plan for post-war Gaza.

Trump's 20-point plan, unveiled on 29 September, demands the immediate release of all hostages, followed by Hamas' disarmament and the transfer of Gaza’s governance to a technocratic committee under international oversight. The proposal, endorsed by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, aims to strip Hamas of both military and political control in Gaza.

“Hamas is supposed to release all hostages in stage 1. It has not. Hamas knows where the bodies of our hostages are. Hamas are to be disarmed under this agreement. No ifs, no buts. They have not. Hamas need to adhere to the 20-point plan. They are running out of time,” Netanyahu’s office said in a statement.

Israel says that 1,200 people were killed and 251 abducted during the Hamas-led attacks on 7 October 2023. In response, Israel’s military campaign in Gaza has claimed nearly 68,000 lives, according to local authorities.

Nazzal defended Hamas’ internal crackdown in Gaza, which included public executions on Monday. “There are always exceptional measures during war,” he said, claiming those executed were criminals responsible for killings.

He denied any strategic interest in keeping the bodies of deceased hostages and said Hamas was facing technical challenges in recovering more. At least nine of 28 bodies have been handed over. “We have no interest in keeping the bodies. If we need help, international parties such as Turkey or the U.S. will help search,” he said.

A senior Turkish official confirmed last week that Turkey is part of a joint task force with Israel, the U.S., Qatar and Egypt aimed at recovering the remaining bodies.

Nazzal said Hamas had already agreed to transfer civil governance to a technocratic committee on 4 October and had released all living hostages by Monday. He confirmed that negotiations for the next phase of the process would begin soon.

Trump has signalled that Hamas was temporarily allowed to carry out internal security operations in Gaza, reportedly including action against gangs. Nazzal said this was understood among the parties and necessary to protect humanitarian aid convoys from looting and armed groups.

When asked about the proposal for an international stabilisation force in Gaza, which is part of Trump’s ceasefire plan, Nazzal said it had not been raised in talks with Hamas.

Though the group’s founding charter calls for the destruction of Israel, Nazzal said Hamas has repeatedly proposed a long-term truce in exchange for a viable Palestinian state on territory occupied by Israel in 1967.

He insisted the aim of a ceasefire was not to prepare for further conflict. “The goal isn’t to prepare for a future war,” he said.

Hamas, he added, seeks international guarantees for a future beyond the ceasefire period that would offer “horizons and hope” for Palestinian statehood.

“The Palestinian people want an independent Palestinian state,” Nazzal said. - October 18, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war