World

Afghanistan and Pakistan agree to immediate ceasefire following deadly border clashes

Qatar and Turkey broker truce as Kabul accuses Islamabad of airstrikes during talks; both sides commit to further negotiations

Updated 10 months ago · Published on 19 Oct 2025 8:58AM

Afghanistan and Pakistan agree to immediate ceasefire following deadly border clashes
Ceasefire extended for duration of peace talks - October 19, 2025

AFGHANISTAN and Pakistan have agreed to an immediate ceasefire following high-level talks held in Doha on Saturday, Qatar’s foreign ministry announced in the early hours of Sunday.

Reuters cited on Sunday that the agreement comes after a week of intense border clashes that killed dozens and left hundreds injured in what is described as the worst violence between the two neighbours since the Taliban's return to power in 2021.

Qatar confirmed the truce was the result of negotiations jointly mediated by Qatar and Turkey, adding that both parties have committed to holding follow-up meetings “to ensure the sustainability of the ceasefire and verify its implementation in a reliable and sustainable manner.”

The talks were led by Afghan Defence Minister Mullah Muhammad Yaqoob and Pakistan’s Defence Minister Khawaja Muhammad Asif. According to Afghanistan’s government spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid, “As promised, negotiations with the Pakistani side will take place today in Doha,” confirming the Kabul delegation had arrived for discussions.

Pakistan’s Foreign Office stated that the talks were aimed at ending cross-border attacks and restoring stability along the 2,600-kilometre shared frontier. “The talks will focus on immediate measures to end cross-border terrorism against Pakistan emanating from Afghanistan and restore peace and stability along the Pak-Afghan border,” it said.

The escalation was sparked by Islamabad’s accusations that militants operating from Afghan territory had intensified attacks in Pakistan. In response, Pakistani forces launched airstrikes across the border. Kabul denies providing sanctuary to militants, and in turn, accused Pakistan of spreading disinformation and harbouring Islamic State-linked fighters to destabilise Afghanistan — claims Islamabad denies.

On Friday, a suicide bombing near the border killed seven Pakistani soldiers and wounded 13 others, according to security sources. Pakistan’s Army Chief, Field Marshal Asim Munir, said: “The Afghan regime must rein in the proxies who have sanctuaries in Afghanistan and are using Afghan soil to perpetrate heinous attacks inside Pakistan.”

However, tensions flared again despite the ceasefire. Afghanistan accused Pakistan of launching further airstrikes shortly after the truce was extended on Friday. Mujahid claimed the strikes targeted civilians and led to the deaths of three local cricketers in Paktika province.

“The Afghan fighters have been directed to refrain from retaliating to respect the negotiating team, but Kabul reserves the right to respond,” Mujahid said. In protest, Afghanistan has withdrawn from a scheduled Twenty20 international cricket tri-series in Pakistan next month.

Pakistan’s Information Minister, Attaullah Tarar, denied that civilians were targeted, stating on X that Pakistan had struck “verified” militant camps along the border. He claimed that over 100 militants were killed by Pakistani forces, most of them linked to the group responsible for Friday’s suicide attack. Tarar also said multiple attacks had been attempted during the ceasefire period.

Reuters has not independently verified the casualty figures or the nature of the targets struck. Further negotiations between the two countries are expected to continue in the coming days. - October 19, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war