World

Trump threatens Hamas as fragile Gaza truce edges toward next phase

U.S. presses for Hamas disarmament under Trump-led ceasefire plan; Vance meets Israeli leaders as violence and diplomacy unfold in parallel

Updated 10 months ago · Published on 22 Oct 2025 8:31AM

Trump threatens Hamas as fragile Gaza truce edges toward next phase
Human rights organisations have condemned the threats, arguing they breach international legal standards - October 22, 2025

U.S. President Donald Trump has issued a stark warning to Hamas as the United States ramps up pressure on the Palestinian group to disarm under the next phase of a fragile Gaza ceasefire.

Reuters reported on Wednesday that Trump had threatened Hamas with “fast, furious and brutal force” should it fail to comply, while US Vice President JD Vance echoed the message during a visit to Israel, declaring, “If Hamas doesn’t cooperate, as the president of the United States has said, Hamas is going to be obliterated.”

Human rights organisations have condemned the threats, arguing they breach international legal standards.

The ceasefire, now in its 11th day, remains shaky, with ongoing reports of violations on both sides. The Gaza health ministry said on Tuesday that Israel has killed at least 87 Palestinians since the truce began. Over the weekend, two Israeli soldiers were killed in southern Gaza.

A Hamas delegation meeting Turkish officials on Tuesday reaffirmed the group’s commitment to the deal despite “repeated violations” by Israel. Turkey is one of the signatories to Trump’s 20-point ceasefire framework, agreed earlier this month in Sharm el-Sheikh.

Vance is due to meet Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Wednesday and has signalled optimism, describing the truce as going “better than expected”.

However, he cautioned against expectations of swift progress, especially regarding the return of hostage bodies and the full implementation of the broader ceasefire plan.

Key elements of Trump’s proposal include the disarmament of Hamas, a phased Israeli withdrawal from Gaza, and the formation of a technocratic administration overseen by an international board chaired by Trump himself.

A multinational peacekeeping force is also proposed, with no role for Hamas.

While some clemency for Hamas fighters is reportedly on the table, all parties—including Israel and Gulf states—have made disarmament a non-negotiable demand.

Vance, speaking at a US military facility in southern Israel where American troops are monitoring the truce, also noted that further normalisation between Israel and Gulf countries could follow successful progress.

Meanwhile, US diplomatic efforts continue behind the scenes. Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner, along with envoy Steven Witkoff, held talks with Egypt’s intelligence chief Hassan Rashad in Israel on Tuesday. Egypt is also hosting Hamas negotiators, led by Khalil al-Hayya, in Cairo.

According to a Palestinian official familiar with the discussions, Hamas has expressed openness to a technocratic governing body in Gaza—one that excludes Hamas representation but would operate with the group’s consent, as well as that of the Palestinian Authority.

Qatar, another key mediator, has accused Israel of “continuous violations” of the truce, underlining the fragility of the situation. Turkish officials, too, are positioning themselves for a continued diplomatic role as the process moves forward.

On the ground, efforts to recover and return hostage bodies continue slowly. Hamas handed over two more remains on Tuesday, bringing the total returned to three, while Israel handed back the bodies of 15 Palestinians.

Aid is flowing into Gaza through two Israeli-controlled crossings, but humanitarian agencies say this is still far from sufficient. The UN World Food Programme said deliveries are falling short of its 2,000-ton daily target, and no aid has yet reached the devastated northern part of Gaza.

Tensions remain high around the so-called “yellow line” marking Israel’s military withdrawal zone. On Tuesday, Israeli forces reportedly shot dead a person attempting to cross into the zone. Palestinians say the boundary is poorly marked, and Israeli bulldozers have begun installing yellow concrete blocks to make it more visible.

According to Gaza health authorities, seven Palestinians were killed by Israeli fire in the past 24 hours, bringing the total death toll since the war began to 68,229.

The conflict erupted following Hamas’s 7 October 2023 attack on Israel, which left around 1,200 people dead and 251 taken hostage, according to Israeli figures. - October 22, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren